Nugget Shooter Forums

Simple way to clean some silver coins

I had a reale that was a redish brown color. So I took some alum foil and put the coin in the center of the foil. Spit on the coin. Have foil cover both sides of the coin and rub hard until it smells. My coin was clean first time. But you can repeat doing doing it until you get coin the way you want it. Before and after. Bad lighting

IMG_2896.JPG

IMG_2890.JPG

I use aluminum foil and baking soda to clean silver without rubbing.  You can find many ways on the net.  Sometimes I use hot water and vinegar when cleaning silver rings that have come out of the ocean.  Coins be hurt in their value by rubbing or adding additional scratches.  I tumble clad coins and some 'common' silver.  Other coins look better to me if I leave the patina such as some copper coins.

On 3/21/2021 at 9:32 PM, mn90403 said:

I use aluminum foil and baking soda to clean silver without rubbing.  You can find many ways on the net.  Sometimes I use hot water and vinegar when cleaning silver rings that have come out of the ocean.  Coins be hurt in their value by rubbing or adding additional scratches.  I tumble clad coins and some 'common' silver.  Other coins look better to me if I leave the patina such as some copper coins.

Your right. Their are a lot of ways on cleaning coins. I'm guessing its up to the owner and what he wants to do. But the best way is to leave it alone if its worth anything. If you clean it and have plans of keeping it for yourself. Then thats you're call.  But you never know if someday you might want to sell it. Things could change later on.  I even heard sonic machines can hurt your coins. Who would even think that? I just thought this was a quick way easy way to clean silver. Seem this forum is a different than other forums I've been on. For the most part. The older pro's are on the gold forums. I've been dealing with a lot of younger people asking questions about cleaning coins.

• Like 1
On 3/21/2021 at 3:59 PM, cavanaugh said:

I had a reale that was a redish brown color. So I took some alum foil and put the coin in the center of the foil. Spit on the coin. Have foil cover both sides of the coin and rub hard until it smells. My coin was clean first time. But you can repeat doing doing it until you get coin the way you want it. Before and after. Bad lighting

IMG_2896.JPG

IMG_2890.JPG

It looks like some change has been taken out of your coins-assuming they were round when minted. They've been clipped.

8 hours ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

It looks like some change has been taken out of your coins-assuming they were round when minted. They've been clipped.

YA But I'll still take them. Just waiting for my new 5000 to arrive this week. I'm hoping to hit some spot I've been hitting for years. Got a 1808 Marton today. Hard getting anything over this foot high scrub brush thats everywhere.

IMG_2951.JPG