Nugget Shooter Forums

Best article I have found on fusion crust, how and why and when

http://www.meteorlab.com/METEORLAB2001dev/fusion/fusion.htm

The cream colored crust mentioned intrigues me although it is a primary crust.  Then there is secondary crust which can be barely discernible.   If the secondary crust is barely there I think of the meteorite as being naked.  A naked achondrite with very little metal would be hard to spot.  To pick one out while out hunting the person would have to train his eye to spot surface features like fracturing, regmaglypts, and material that has flowed and was redeposited, besides have and eye for the texture.  Identifying texture/matrix would be tough for sure.  Think diogenites.  I doubt if any of this I am rambling on about is new to anyone who has spent hours out there hunting.  Just me trying to wrap my head around it all.

I have found really good information in articles from meteorlab (New England Meteoritical Services).  Some were in Meteorite Magazine I believe.  

Sometimes I think about meteorites that won't make your eyeball detector go beep. 

I have a hard enough time looking at all the black rocks. I'm not sure if I can handle cream colored crust.

I do wonder about all the tons of rock that has bombarded every acre of the earth since the first few chondrules decided to cling together. And how many of them we are missing using whatever search method we use.

I haven't got as far as examining cracks or any of that. For me it has been either a definite meteorite or a definite mineral. I have only found a few meteorites and they have been within established strewn fields. So identification was easy. Once I saw one in any of the strewn fields I could pretty much pick them out.

No cold finds have ever aroused my suspicions enough to look at subtle features. They have all been rocks. No doubt there is a lot to learn from studying meteorites that closely. I hope to do that if I ever get my hands on one.

I think I'll have a big bowl of chondrite swirl with a silky cream fusion crust for dessert. Maybe it will help me to see a rare white meteorite.

• 1 month later...
On 3/21/2021 at 10:45 PM, Bedrock Bob said:

No cold finds have ever aroused my suspicions enough to look at subtle features. They have all been rocks. No doubt there is a lot to learn from studying meteorites that closely. I hope to do that if I ever get my hands on one.

I think I'll have a big bowl of chondrite swirl with a silky cream fusion crust for dessert. Maybe it will help me to see a rare white meteorite.

Bob! How have you been man!! Just dropping in to check out everything going on here! Any good meteorite potential posts??

51 minutes ago, Rocky said:

Bob! How have you been man!! Just dropping in to check out everything going on here! Any good meteorite potential posts??

Hey Rocky! How are things?

There has actually been one potential iron posted. It wasn't an obvious artifact anyway.

And a guy just recently had a sweet meteor wrong. I would have kept it for sure.

Otherwise it has been the usual stream of slag and hematite. An occasional old rusty horse shoe. 

Mike just educated us on ferromanganese today. It looked like a metal mineral but it was an industrial slag by product. Never heard of such madness but it is true!

I think a couple of the resident die hards posted some lakebed finds too.

So there are some worthy posts in the last couple of months.

I have been chasing non meteoritic treasures lately so I dont have anything new to brag about. 

Have you found another truckload of space rocks behind your cult de sac?

• Like 2