Nugget Shooter Forums

metal found in clay

I was helping my dad dig some dirt the other day and struck something hard when i hit some clay, I was wondering if anybody on here could help me figure out what type of metal this is. it has a tiny bit of what looks like rust & is magnetic160098570_905341026867664_4353506270068464524_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&ccb=1-3&_nc_sid=58c789&_nc_ohc=x6q0Hb8x6WUAX_TSib3&_nc_ad=z-m&_nc_cid=0&_nc_ht=scontent.xx&tp=6&oh=368ab3ee46259aa65bc5fc9086a56273&oe=6077B70F161611788_268536408221622_27882215068149

It looks like man made steel. It might be mineral iron. The shape makes me think it is man made.

If it is magnetic it is iron. You just have to figure out what chemical state the iron is and it will tell you if it is man made or a mineral.

Get a file or a piece of sandpaper and grind on it a little. See what is inside. 

If it is shiny metal inside it is probably man made metal. If it is dark charcoal looking metal it is a mineral form of iron.

Hope that helps!

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

It looks like man made steel. It might be mineral iron. The shape makes me think it is man made.

If it is magnetic it is iron. You just have to figure out what chemical state the iron is and it will tell you if it is man made or a mineral.

Get a file or a piece of sandpaper and grind on it a little. See what is inside. 

If it is shiny metal inside it is probably man made metal. If it is dark charcoal looking metal it is a mineral form of iron.

Hope that helps!

I took your advice and started filing it for awhile and it's become somewhat shiny but maintained the real dark look to it, I hope this means that it's in it's original form.  cheers heaps for your input and help! 160220995_247252483707835_56926921091952

It is hard to tell from the photos. 

When you file or sand it a mineral will grind fairly easy and make grey or red cuttings. Grey is magnetite and red is hematite.

A man made metal will make metallic filings. They can look "grey" but they are little bits of metal. You can pick the dust up with a magnet. 

The inside will be dense, shiny and look just like steel if it is man made. If it is mineral it will be almost metallic looking but darker. It will get "smoky" looking after a couple hours. And it will have tiny pits and holes instead of smooth solid metal.

If you can post better photos I will give you my opinion. But if you look carefully at the surface you made and the cuttings that came from grinding you can probably tell without any help.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

It is hard to tell from the photos. 

When you file or sand it a mineral will grind fairly easy and make grey or red cuttings. Grey is magnetite and red is hematite.

A man made metal will make metallic filings. They can look "grey" but they are little bits of metal. You can pick the dust up with a magnet. 

The inside will be dense, shiny and look just like steel if it is man made. If it is mineral it will be almost metallic looking but darker. It will get "smoky" looking after a couple hours. And it will have tiny pits and holes instead of smooth solid metal.

If you can post better photos I will give you my opinion. But if you look carefully at the surface you made and the cuttings that came from grinding you can probably tell without any help.

cheers for the help, I think it is man made