Nugget Shooter Forums

Incoming!

Dakota Slim

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

That isn't a comet Slim. That is garden variety hematite. 

Did you do a streak test and a window?

What a good observation bob. Apparently NASA had a hard time coming up with a comet so they used the hematite in it's place. 
Do you open the window before you test the streaks on your underwear? 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I do open the windows before I test the streaks in my underwear!

The test shows that the streaks in my underwear are smarter than you are Slim.

:laught16:

Quoted simply to preserve as evidence.

• Haha 1

My guess is that a comet of that size going 50,000 mph would poke a hole in the earth's crust if the angle was right. It could also speed up or slow down the earth's rotation and maybe even cause a 180 degree shift of the poles. 

2 hours ago, Dakota Slim said:

My guess is that a comet of that size going 50,000 mph would poke a hole in the earth's crust if the angle was right. It could also speed up or slow down the earth's rotation and maybe even cause a 180 degree shift of the poles. 

My guess is it would poke a hole in the earth's crust no matter what angle it came in from. Holes come in all sizes. If my dog can poke a hole in the earth's crust then a comet like that probably can too.

In the same respect it does not take much to increase or decrease the speed of rotation of the earth. Earthquakes do it all the time. The change is not much but it is there. 

If you build a little sand castle on the beach right on the equator you have changed he earth's rotation slightly. If you get the material from the north pole to build your sand castle on the equator the effect is exponential. 

So yes, a large impact would definitely effect the rotation of the earth. Exactly how much I will leave for you to postulate.

I'm not sure about magnetic pole changes. Why do you think a large impact would trigger that?

I could certainly understand seasonal changes. For many reasons. 

The theory is that deep impacts could cause mountains to lift on the opposite side of the planet from the impact. Like a rebound formation. Only on the opposite side.

According to your calculations where would the mountains form if the comet hit your luxury mobile chalet?

https://www.geodatos.net/en

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

My guess is it would poke a hole in the earth's crust no matter what angle it came in from. Holes come in all sizes. If my dog can poke a hole in the earth's crust then a comet like that probably can too.

In the same respect it does not take much to increase or decrease the speed of rotation of the earth. Earthquakes do it all the time. The change is not much but it is there. 

If you build a little sand castle on the beach right on the equator you have changed he earth's rotation slightly. If you get the material from the north pole to build your sand castle on the equator the effect is exponential. 

So yes, a large impact would definitely effect the rotation of the earth. Exactly how much I will leave for you to postulate.

I'm not sure about magnetic pole changes. Why do you think a large impact would trigger that?

I could certainly understand seasonal changes. For many reasons. 

The theory is that deep impacts could cause mountains to lift on the opposite side of the planet from the impact. Like a rebound formation. Only on the opposite side.

According to your calculations where would the mountains form if the comet hit your luxury mobile chalet?

https://www.geodatos.net/en

It appears that you flunked reading and geology Bob, and apparently you never played pool or billiards. 
I bet your cat tries to cover you up when you are making sandcastles in its sandbox.

"The earth is made up of three different layers: the
crust, the mantle and the core. The crust is the outside layer of the earth and is made of solid rock, mostly basalt and granite. The continental crust is 20 to 80 kilometers thick."

My dog does not dig anywhere near 20 kilometers in solid rock. Maybe a foot or two if there is a tasty rodent buried in the earth's crust.

A comet may go a lot deeper than my dog into the earth's crust. I don't know how much deeper than my dog but definitely deeper.

The point is I agree it would make a hole in the crust. Whatever you consider the crust to be. It would make a hole in it.

More specifically it would create a hole in the earth's crust of some undetermined depth. The exact depth of which this object might penetrate I will also leave to you to postulate based on your extensive knowledge of billiards.

So be happy! We both agree there will be a hole of some size in the earth's crust. And there is no disagreement about how deep that hole might be.

:ya:

• Like 1

Here is a good study on how shock waves from an impact travel around the planet. They discuss how the waves from an impact focus on the antipode or opposite point on the sphere.

https://www.princeton.edu/news/2011/10/19/impact-study-princeton-model-shows-fallout-giant-meteorite-strike

With some rough estimation it looks like a cometary impact in the southern Indian Ocean would focus the shock waves at the Lucky Mullet Trailer Haven just outside of Kingman Arizona.

21 minutes ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

I don't think there is a toilet tank lid big enough to do a streak test on Bob's panties, let alone , to determine the intelligence of said panties.

Stay calm you rascal. I haven't forgotten about you.

I'm just playing with Slim a bit. Don't get all jealous. You are still my favorite.

If that impact happens in the southern Indian Ocean and an impact structure forms near you we could call it Mt. Stillheaving Whalebelly.

:25r30wi:

Edited by Bedrock Bob
Actually I lied to make you feel good. Clay is my favorite.
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

If that impact happens in the southern Indian Ocean and an impact structure forms near you we could call it Mt. Stillheaving Whalebelly.

:25r30wi:

That might be one way to find MH-370.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Morlock said:

That might be one way to find MH-370.

It's out there in the ocean somewhere. They just criss crossed over it. Just like that nugget in a hammered patch that remains after so much searching.

Either that or it is a dark conspiracy of some kind. Radical liberals stoned on adrenochrome or something.

If a comet hits the southern Indian Ocean we can pan flakes of MH-370 from the creeks running down the east flanks of Mt. Stillheaving Whalebelly. It'll be a hoot.