Nugget Shooter Forums

Found some old grave sites, not on any topo maps going back to 1800's.

I know the area was worked by Chinese miners way, way back. Also found a solder dot can within 10' of the first grave.

How/Where do I report them?

American Pioneer & Cemetery Research Project

https://www.apcrp.org/

600 pioneer cemeteries and 18,224 pioneer graves registered in Arizona. The odds are very good your discovery is already registered.

Edited by clay
  • Like 3
  • 3 weeks later...

Maybe the APCRP would be interested in the graves you found? You were asking how or where to report them. It seems that Clay gave you a pretty good lead on how to do that.

Im not sure who else may be interested in reports of old graves. 

Did you try to report the graves to whomever controls or owns the property? 

Is it important to you to report them to someone? Why?

• Like 1
  • Irritated 1

My wife is an archaeologist, if you are in Arizona, she said to report it to their SHPO office to get the proper local contact information, and if it’s on BLM or other federal lands, also contact their agency archaeologist through their district office. Start here by contacting SHPO:

https://azstateparks.com/shpo

State Historic Preservation Office
1100 W Washington St
Phoenix, AZ 85007

(602) 542-4009 

Edited by GotAU?
  • Like 2
  • well done 2
On 3/15/2021 at 9:45 PM, GotAU? said:

My wife is an archaeologist, if you are in Arizona, she said to report it to their SHPO office to get the proper local contact information, and if it’s on BLM or other federal lands, also contact their agency archaeologist through their district office. Start here by contacting SHPO:

https://azstateparks.com/shpo

State Historic Preservation Office
1100 W Washington St
Phoenix, AZ 85007

(602) 542-4009 

THANK YOU ... heading back out tomorrow to get exact GPS coordinates. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Electrician said:

THANK YOU ... heading back out tomorrow to get exact GPS coordinates. 

Also,  if you take photos for them, hold your GPS out in front in view of the photo.  Landscape surroundings and good closeups too.  It’s great you’re reporting it, that’s important. Have a good time out there!

Hey, don’t take the question of whether it’s important or not too seriously or in the wrong way, it was an honest question and sometimes people don’t realize why it’s important to report because keeping it secret may seem to be the best choice to them, but it’s really not the case.

I can give a couple examples why reporting is important, first of all if the area is ever to have a road, trail or pipeline cut through it, it’s important for the agency or land owner to know where their historic or prehistoric features are so they can avoid them. If nobody reports special sites, the agency may not even know they exist and might accidentally disturb them.  They are supposed to do pre-surveys in areas where they suspect there may be sites, but when someone is out in the field to do the surveys, they might actually miss something important.  Sometimes this can be a very big deal, I’ve seen a place where a prehistoric burial ground was scraped by a dozer and scrapers because the developer didn’t realize it was there (and it wasn’t reported even though it was known to exist) until after there were human bone shards spread all over the site.

Edited by GotAU?
  • Like 2
  • wow 1