Nugget Shooter Forums

Handheld Underwater Detecting - PulseDive vs Quest Tector Pro

Heading down to Mexico for 10 days for a family vacation.  To keep me sane during mandatory family FUN time, I thought I would try combing the beaches, and swim holes around the resort.  I been researching these hand held devices, and narrowed it down to these two. 

NEW FOR 2021

Quest Scuba Tector Pro Metal Detector 

ADDING THE 8” COIL OPTION

Nota PulseDive Underwater Metal Detector & Pinpointer 2-in-1 Set with 4" Coil, 3 kHz Pulse Induction Frequency 

Both units are Pulse Indiction  

the PulseDive operated at 3khz, and the Quest operates at 97khz  

I know both these units have limited depth, but the PulseDive with the 8” coin goes about a 1/3 deeper according to YouTube videos I watched.  I also snipe in CA, and would love to use this down the road for rivers and creeks for gold.  If Possible!

QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP

1) any experience with either unit?

2) and opinions on frequency?

3) any others options out there that I am missing?

thank you everyone!

Edited by Au Seeker
to remove links to metal detector sales websites

Craig, I can't help with your questions other than to say the higher the frequency the better it would detect gold nuggets, the one at 3khz would have a difficult time detecting gold nuggets especially if they're small unless they were very shallow.

I had to remove the links you posted because the owner of these forums sells metal detectors and doesn't allow links to other websites that sells metal detectors since it could hurt his sales.

That being said hopefully someone knows about these metal detectors and can help answer your questions, if no one knows these detectors  then they would have to research them to maybe be able to help you. 

• Like 1

Hey Craig!

You should check out the various laws about electronics in Mexico. It is complicated. Don't just assume you can get your detector there or use it.

It has been a few years since I have been to Mexico. And laws are different everywhere. But an American with a metal detector can and will cause problems in many places. 

My advice is to ask someone you trust that is familiar with the local dynamics. Get their opinion on how you should proceed and who should give you permission.

As long as the appropriate people approve you will have no problems. Without that approval you could be taking quite a risk. 

Just my two cents. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

As long as the appropriate people approve you will have no problems. Without that approval you could be taking quite a risk. 

Just my two cents. 

That's good advice. May  be the manager of the resort has some Federales contacts that need some permitting fees:89::brows: or the travel agent, if any, can help.

8 hours ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

That's good advice. May  be the manager of the resort has some Federales contacts that need some permitting fees:89::brows: or the travel agent, if any, can help.

You mean a bribe???

9 hours ago, Craig T said:

All great advice.  I will reach out to the resort next weekend.

Does anyone have experience with either unit?

The resort will be able to keep you from running in to any problems for sure. It isn't a matter of "bribes" although it may come down to a few bucks and a show of respect for the guy who has the power in the area. The resort will know exactly how to navigate that.

I have only used a couple underwater detectors and that was years ago. So I don't have any experience with either machine that you mention.

I do spearfish and hunt treasure by sight while snorkeling or diving. There is no doubt that there is a lot to be found in and around the water.

We used to take a boat down to Kino Bay, San Carlos and Guaymas pretty often. I always wanted to treasure hunt underwater but the fishing was so good I never got around to it. I abandoned the detector for a spear gun and a snorkel pretty quickly.