Nugget Shooter Forums

Trying my camera out on a small stone

This is more a test than anything.  I want to see what my old microscope with camera can do with new software.  I have a small (very small) rock in view that I would compare loosely to an Olivine Hypersthene.  Hope this is okay to do.  

Mike

olivine2.jpg

olivine stone2.jpg

olivine.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

think I might be on to something with the low power scope and camera.  If I don't zoom in so much to take the picture, then it can be made bigger later.  Anyway, I'm still playing with this software.  Here are a couple more pics of a possible iron that I did not zoom quite so much.  The piece is about 1/2" wide.

iron10.jpg

iron11.jpg

iron12.jpg

I've used an old digital camera with a macro mode and taken photos thru my 30x loupe, it's not perfect but it works!  I always try to include scale in these photos especially, it helps with perspective.  For example, here are some Holbrook meteorite fragments I pulled out of an ant hill with a magnet.

HolbrookAnts2014a[1].jpg

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Haven't bought a loupe yet so I am still playing with the camera on my scope.  Here is front and back of a very small possible.  I tried making the pictures as close to actual color as I could get it.  Some patches of what I believe is fusion crust still on it as shown in first pic.  

group6.jpg

group5.jpg