Nugget Shooter Forums

1882 O
1892 O
1894 O
1893 O
1889 O
1901 S
1903 O

These make up the bulk of the coins, however, there are a couple of dates that may be worth some money. The bulk of the cache is New Orleans, and Philadelphia minted, with a few San Francisco. The appraiser took a lot of time with each coin, and explained how grading worked, and what it costs. He was horrified when I showed him the video of me finding them, and told me with all that shaking and rubbing them around, I probably caused a couple thousand dollars in damage to the coins. I kinda looked at him and smiled, shrugged my shoulders and told him I was still one very happy camper!

So the majority of the coins are worth $75-$90, and I am having four coins professionally cleaned and graded. They are 1896-O; 1895-O; 1893-O; 1892-S.

• Like 3
  • well done 1
26 minutes ago, Terry Soloman said:

I am having four coins professionally cleaned and graded. They are 1896-O; 1895-O; 1893-O; 1892-S.

I hope they recited the memo about cleaning  coins ... Their goal being only to remove dirt- not patina/toning.

:barnie:"this 1000 grit paste on the buffer ota shine em rite up.":yikes:

Some coin sites put good value on AU, BU grades.

• Like 1
48 minutes ago, Terry Soloman said:

1882 O
1892 O
1894 O
1893 O
1889 O
1901 S
1903 O

These make up the bulk of the coins, however, there are a couple of dates that may be worth some money. The bulk of the cache is New Orleans, and Philadelphia minted, with a few San Francisco. The appraiser took a lot of time with each coin, and explained how grading worked, and what it costs. He was horrified when I showed him the video of me finding them, and told me with all that shaking and rubbing them around, I probably caused a couple thousand dollars in damage to the coins. I kinda looked at him and smiled, shrugged my shoulders and told him I was still one very happy camper!

So the majority of the coins are worth $75-$90, and I am having four coins professionally cleaned and graded. They are 1896-O; 1895-O; 1893-O; 1892-S.

I was also a bit concerned watching you rub those coins  :barnie:, I was saying "oh, no ,no , no..." . LOL

• Like 2

Excellent Terry, great score buddy, next hoard try to be a bit more careful with those coins, it's crazy how they lose value so quick. Next jar maybe gold!! :ya: ht

• Like 1

I wouldn't be surprised  if the coins were in " circulated" condition when they went  into  the jar.

A little roughhousing , after the fact , probably didn't amount too much.

Depending on the mintage for any particular year, it looks like 4+x melt value(90% Ag) is an average valuation in the coin mag,  I saw , as well as Terry's appraisal. 

I think ms60> increases  the ante 10x.

• Like 1

Great Finds Terry, I did almost the same thing back in 1990, found a really nice cashe of coins, on the Merced river.Grubstake

• Like 1

Wow Terry! 
Thats a find of a lifetime. 

Congrats.....you put your time in to finally be rewarded.
Tom H.

• Like 1

Great cache Terry! :party-smiley-027[1]: Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

You’re probably still shaking.  Outstanding !  It gives us all hope.  

• Like 1