Nugget Shooter Forums

slag, vesicular basalt or meteorite?

I'm really curious about what this rock is -it was given to my dad years ago in Saudi Arabia. He was told it was a meteorite. I took photos of the front (I call it the front because it is the smooth side) and the back (the rougher side) of the rock. The back shows where I broke off a piece to get a look at the interior of the rock. The interior is not porous at all.  It does not attract a magnet. Any ideas are welcome -thank you!

Edited by DJ_curious

Hey DJ!

That is a cool rock. Im not sure what it is. It could be basalt for sure. It has a nice crust on it. 

It does not look like a meteorite to me but it does have an interesting shape and crust. I can see how someone could think it was a meteorite for sure. 

It isn't slag. I only see a couple of holes. Just from the photo I'd say it was basalt. 

This one is tough to say from a photo, definitely worth having someone knowledgeable on meteorites look at in person.  If it is a meteorite, it is an achondrite.

• Like 2

The interior is way too light in color for typical basalt, although leucobasalt can be very light in color. Achondrite all the way...IF it is indeed a meteorite...expert analysis is required for that determination.

Edited by Lunk
  • Like 3

Here’s more photos to show the size and some detail. It weighs about 725 grams and looks (from the exposed interior) and feels quite dense. I was debating sending in a sample for analysis, but after the feedback I think I will go ahead and get it tested. Thank you for the feedback and I’ll update the post once I know something more!

6A029B89-5731-44CE-9C5C-27B549C3E1AB.jpeg

CA94CF32-AD8B-4C5A-BD4B-62F6DF44B2B5.jpeg

2F8F1D3F-6338-4D4C-AD4B-3A1603498552.jpeg

Edited by DJ_curious
  • Like 1
18 hours ago, DJ_curious said:

IMG_5054.jpgIMG_5066.JPGIMG_5055.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen a craggier looking stone here on this forum before but it looks good to me. Wish you luck.

I’ve seen rocks in shops and museums in China that look very similar to the one you posted, the color varies by the type of mineral and location of the deposit and some can be very valuable. Of course it’s difficult to tell from a photo and I’m not familiar beyond seeing these a few times but could this be something similar?

060C1F62-3E5C-4103-B211-709F142CB174.png

6C4C2C46-22FC-4C18-84DC-52D2AF098D4E.jpeg

1989B3B1-4D54-43CB-9F2B-5E8152603C92.jpeg

54 minutes ago, 1515Art said:

I’ve seen rocks in shops and museums in China that look very similar to the one you posted, the color varies by the type of mineral and location of the deposit and some can be very valuable. Of course it’s difficult to tell from a photo and I’m not familiar beyond seeing these a few times but could this be something similar?

060C1F62-3E5C-4103-B211-709F142CB174.png

6C4C2C46-22FC-4C18-84DC-52D2AF098D4E.jpeg

1989B3B1-4D54-43CB-9F2B-5E8152603C92.jpeg

Nope. That is a terrestrial stone. No fusion crust, no regmaglypts and full of holes.

21 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Nope. That is a terrestrial stone. No fusion crust, no regmaglypts and full of holes.

Bob, are you saying no to similar formations collected in China, or just that it’s not a meteorite? The lake rocks are terrestrial the ones in museums and around the forbidden city being highly prized in China they would also be collected elsewhere in the Middle East as well as copies.

EF7B247D-27BB-4854-8FF7-2317BC670731.jpeg

Edited by 1515Art

Art,

The OP posted a very interesting specimen. It is his thread and we are anxious to discuss his stone.

Your rocks are cool. You seem to have a story to tell about them. I would love to discuss them with you in another thread over in the Rocks and Minerals section.

• Like 1
  • wow 1
3 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Art,

The OP posted a very interesting specimen. It is his thread and we are anxious to discuss his stone.

Your rocks are cool. You seem to have a story to tell about them. I would love to discuss them with you in another thread over in the Rocks and Minerals section.

I love all these discussions. The rock pictures are spectacular! 

Bob, I’m sorry I was just suggesting the OP’s specimen might be limestone, possibly old.

Edited by 1515Art

My wife is over in Shanghai so I sent a couple of the OP’s pictures to her for an opinion, she’s very familiar with the This limestone and she thought it was indeed Taihu Limestone too. A few years back a small piece like that would have fetched a couple hundred dollars or more, since the pandemic prices  have dropped. If it is legit, best if the OP’s not chipping off anymore pieces.

Edited by 1515Art

Hey Art,

Thanks for the suggestion. I can definitely see the resemblance! My rock does have a glossy surface and is quite dense, even resonant (and it looks like these are attributes of Gongshi stones, particularly Lingbi limestone). I’m assuming that limestone can also form a dark crust?

Thank you!

Edited by DJ_curious
45 minutes ago, DJ_curious said:

Hey Art,

Thanks for the suggestion. I can definitely see the resemblance! My rock does have a glossy surface and is quite dense, even resonant (and it looks like these are attributes of Gongshi stones, particularly Lingbi limestone). I’m assuming that limestone can also form a dark crust?

Thank you!

I'm not seeing any remaglypts on any of these chinese Gongshi stones. While they might look similar, I believe they have different origins.

• Like 1