Nugget Shooter Forums

New Samples

Edge

I have a couple claims on the Domingo. Some areas on the north end have been hammered, there's even a couple miners cabins built there.  Funny how I can always find the remains of chicken coops where miners lived.

The south end  of the claims show little signs of being worked. Plus there's our technological advantage, mostly the generator and wet vac (yes I'm always finding old, old worn out brooms where there's been placer mining in the hills).

But comparing a broom to a shop vac really is no comparison at all. Even after the rains this week put a damper on the dry washing, I was still able to get out Saturday and vacuum some samples up from two sections of bedrock that had been beckoning.

My little recirculating hi banker is painfully slow but here's the results of 4 1/2 buckets. I'll post pic and weight when I'm done cleaning.37377.jpeg

• Like 7
  • well done 1
  • wow 1

5 hours ago, Edge said:

I have a couple claims on the Domingo. Some areas on the north end have been hammered, there's even a couple miners cabins built there.  Funny how I can always find the remains of chicken coops where miners lived.

The south end  of the claims show little signs of being worked. Plus there's our technological advantage, mostly the generator and wet vac (yes I'm always finding old, old worn out brooms where there's been placer mining in the hills).

But comparing a broom to a shop vac really is no comparison at all. Even after the rains this week put a damper on the dry washing, I was still able to get out Saturday and vacuum some samples up from two sections of bedrock that had been beckoning.

My little recirculating hi banker is painfully slow but here's the results of 4 1/2 buckets. I'll post pic and weight when I'm done cleaning.37377.jpeg

There's roughly 35 -5 gallon buckets per cubic yard. So that might give you some idea of the values on that basis.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Morlock said:

There's roughly 35 -5 gallon buckets per cubic yard. So that might give you some idea of the values on that basis.

There are 202 gallons in a cubic yard. That comes out to a little more than 50 full 5 gallon buckets.

The way most people (wisely) fill their buckets generally works out to between 60 and 70 buckets per cubic yard. Big difference in the bottom line from 35 buckets.

2 hours ago, clay said:

There are 202 gallons in a cubic yard. That comes out to a little more than 50 full 5 gallon buckets.

The way most people (wisely) fill their buckets generally works out to between 60 and 70 buckets per cubic yard. Big difference in the bottom line from 35 buckets.

I think you meant 40 full 5 gallon buckets?  :89:

In a slightly related story:  3 'yards' of landscaping dirt delivered to my driveway equals 27 wheelbarrows moved to the backyard.  One wheelbarrow 'equals' 20 heaping flat shovel scoops.  :Diggin_a_hole:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, LukeJ said:

Your math is correct Luke if you don't account for the natural swell or bulking in the volume of material when it is excavated. 10 cubic yards in the ground will measure anywhere from 13 - 20 cubic yards when it's excavated. I'm sure you've excavated holes and refilled them enough to understand the principle of swell in action.

I added 20% swell which is probably an underestimate when dealing with freshly excavated desert soils. Even basic sand swells that much or more when it's dug up.

Since mineral deposits are calculated in the ground the swell factor is applied after the mineral value calculation. For every yard of estimated gold placer value you mine you are going to have to move 1.3 - 2.0 yards of material for processing that yard of gold placer - if you are lucky enough to be able to process where you dig. Typically the shortest route (dig/stockpile/process/refill) involves three moves which amounts to 4 - 6 yards of material moved to process that original one yard of placer. The more times you move it the more it costs to mine the gold.

Edited by clay
  • Like 1

Classification plays a big roll too!! Dirt and rocks have to be separated for a true ratio of gold per 5 gallon bucket right? Bigger rocks in the bucket means less gold bearing dirt, so your average between buckets would be off if not classified. 

I use big, big buckets, I have free sources for them. The tall chlorine buckets come with lids making them ideal for carrying water too.

Then I have these tough, large buckets we use that had a mineral molasses mixture for the livestock. They're nearly indestructible and must hold 7 gallons, easy. 

The days of filling these buckets up to the brim is past for me, I'd kill myself. I carry the dirt or when drywashing; heavies, back to the truck in ammo cans. I'm going to have to find smaller cans too, the 20mm can holds around 14-15 gallons and is a real nut cracker.

Good info, guys.

• Like 4

10 hours ago, clay said:

Your math is correct Luke if you don't account for the natural swell or bulking in the volume of material when it is excavated. 10 cubic yards in the ground will measure anywhere from 13 - 20 cubic yards when it's excavated. I'm sure you've excavated holes and refilled them enough to understand the principle of swell in action.

I added 20% swell which is probably an underestimate when dealing with freshly excavated desert soils. Even basic sand swells that much or more when it's dug up.

Since mineral deposits are calculated in the ground the swell factor is applied after the mineral value calculation. For every yard of estimated gold placer value you mine you are going to have to move 1.3 - 2.0 yards of material for processing that yard of gold placer - if you are lucky enough to be able to process where you dig. Typically the shortest route (dig/stockpile/process/refill) involves three moves which amounts to 4 - 6 yards of material moved to process that original one yard of placer. The more times you move it the more it costs to mine the gold.

Thanks for the informative reply.

Luke

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LukeJ said:

In a slightly related story:  3 'yards' of landscaping dirt delivered to my driveway equals 27 wheelbarrows moved to the backyard.  One wheelbarrow 'equals' 20 heaping flat shovel scoops.  :Diggin_a_hole:

How many tubes of Bengay ointment? 

• Hmmmmmm 1

1 hour ago, TomH said:

How many tubes of Bengay ointment? 

Oh, it wasn't that bad.  I broke it up in three days, with the middle day being the 17 load day.

Plus, I'm still a 'young man' compared to most of 'you guys'.  :4chsmu1:

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, LukeJ said:

Oh, it wasn't that bad.  I broke it up in three days, with the middle day being the 17 load day.

Plus, I'm still a 'young man' compared to most of 'you guys'.  :4chsmu1:

I'm old enough to be my partners dad. I can't work at his pace any longer, specially since my lungs are at about half of their capacity from just a year ago. He wants to go at a break neck speed, I want to enjoy the workout.

Amuses me when he complains about being 40 years old.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Edge said:

I'm old enough to be my partners dad. I can't work at his pace any longer, specially since my lungs are at about half of their capacity from just a year ago. He wants to go at a break neck speed, I want to enjoy the workout.

Amuses me when he complains about being 40 years old.

I viewed moving that dirt as 'my workout'.  So much so, I ordered another three yards and did it again...  :nutty:

At 45 now, I'm not young or old.   Old enough, that the 'youngsters' don't want to hear my advice, and young enough that the 'elderly' think I don't know anything. :idunno:

Congrats on that gold by the way.  I'd be pretty happy with how those buckets panned out.  :yesss:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1