Nugget Shooter Forums

Old homestead, mine, mill and hand stacked roadways

Can you spot all of it?

1x homestead

2x mines

2x prospect pits

1x mill

3x hand stacked roadways

p.s. ran across this spot by accident out wheeling in this insane wash in a deep valley. 

I explored parts of the homestead and a portion of the mill, but the terrain is extremely steep

Screen Shot 2021-01-10 at 12.17.54 PM.png

11 minutes ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

I see gossan? cross the wash in the upper part of the photo, with  three  lines above that.  Is that the handstacking you're  referring  to?

upper right is 3 lines, those are hand stacked walls, approximately 20'+ and 3-4' thick staggered up the hillside

The homestead?It is just off that hillside trail as it trails down to the wash, at left. There's a boxy outline. 

. I wonder how much gold is in that red ore if that is what it is...assuming they were gophering around there.

3 hours ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

The homestead?It is just off that hillside trail as it trails down to the wash, at left. There's a boxy outline. 

. I wonder how much gold is in that red ore if that is what it is...assuming they were gophering around there.

per old assays found of the area and old patent of the area:  very little gold, mostly copper and silver with a ratio of 100:1 favoring anything other than gold.

Hard rock mines often operated below the level where free gold is abundant. Just because the unoxidized ores at depth do not yield good gold that does not mean there is not a rich placer. Quite the contrary. Rich placers often exist below veins that carry little gold values.

Placer is not hard rock ore. The very best placers I have ever worked were below veins that were fully eroded and carry little to no gold values.

Assay reports from hard rock mines have little to no bearing on the potential of placer gold in the adjacent gravels.

Gold often forms in oxidized veins that rapidly turn to copper sulphide at very shallow depth. The presence of gossan indicates oxidation and that is where placer gold comes from. Not so much from the deeper copper ores where many hard rock mines focused.

Allahu akbar.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, chrisski said:

Is this the mill?

no, but I do know where that mill is at.

the mill in my pictures is long gone, only the foundations left.

Edited by Electrician