Nugget Shooter Forums

Understanding the Mineral Resources Data System (MRDS)?

Can anyone (experienced in the MRDS) explain what these line items mean in layman terms?

Geologic structures-
Regional    Foliation Trends N 20 W    
Local    Vein Parallels Foliation    

Ore body information-
General form    TABULAR
Strike    N 20 W
Dip    65 NE
Thickness    1.83M
Depth to bottom    30.48M
Width    30.48M
Length    396.24M

Controls for ore emplacement-
Faulting, Shearing

Comments on the geologic information-
DEPOSIT IS BRECCIATED QUARTZ VEIN WHICH TRENDS PARALLEL TO DIKE OF QUARTZ MONZONITE. DIKE INTRUDES AMPHIBOLITE AND QUARTZ MICA SCHIST. CONTACT OF BATHOLITH 200 FEET TO SOUTHWEST.

It is telling you the a schist is broken by a dike of quartz monzonite. That the breciated quartz veins run parallel to the monzonite dike. And it gives you the direction the formation is pointing.

It describes a block of ore in place at a location. It gives you the width, length, depth and angle of an ore body.

A lot of google will help. 

Breccia is a sedimentary rock, where sharp rocks are enclosed in a natural concretion.  Brecciated quartz would mean the type of rock inside the breccia is quartz and is sharp and angled.  I see plenty of breccia type rock in the south west, but did not see it when I lived in sandy Florida, or the Northeast where the geological history was glacial.

With faulting that means when you're chipping away at the vein, at some point it faulted, like an earthquake and it slid somewhere else.  You could have been on to a rich vein, and its still out there, but you don't know which direction the vein faulted to, up, down. left, or right.

Seems to be a relativey thick vein of quarts 5' that slopes down at a 10% grade for about 400 meters.

When I here the word dike, this is a post of a little prospecting I did along a dike local to here: https://nuggetshooter.ipbhost.com/topic/30119-dike/

I'm also guessing that because the amount of detail in this for your MRDS, it's a really well developed strike.  For the mines I look at, I mostly find what mineral was removed from there.