Nugget Shooter Forums

Blue Corundum? Any info on this?

Hi. I bought this piece along with large collection from an older woman who inherited it from her father, who was a collector. She has no knowledge of any of the pieces and just wanted to get her closet space back. I'm fairly sure it's corundum due to the hexagonal structure but it's much lighter in color and significantly larger than any other piece of corundum that I have. Does anyone know anything about this? It's about 2 inches thick and 5 inches long. Weighs a little over a lb and is more of a sky blue color than the dark dirty blue I usually associate with corundum in my area. Ignore the rhodochrosite in the photo. If you know where corundum forms this large or what such a piece could be worth please let me know. 

IMG_20201118_135615501.jpg

Edited by sebastianbryant
Adding photo

Maybe a sapphire; could also be tourmaline or blue plagioclase feldspar.  Do you know how to do a hardness test?

Very nice pink/red minerals in the background.  Looks like rhodochrosite.  Did you find these?