Nugget Shooter Forums

Iron stained quartz crystal

Hello Gents,  Once gain I find myself healing up from too much fun in the sun when I was a young-in.  Until I can get out :black_knight_standing:again  I have the time to try and clean up some small  clusters of iron stained quartz crystals that I have picked up over the years.  Any advice on what to use to make them display worthy would be appreciated. 

Thanks a bunch!! 

Stay safe, Doug

Hey Doug, try some CLR. It works really good for iron stained gold and quartz. I use it in my ultrasonic cleaner and it is quite amazing!

5 hours ago, d_day said:

I’ve always seen a product called Iron Out recommenced for this, though I’m not sure if you soak them in it or spray and scrub. 

Hey thanks d-day!  I'll Google it and see where I pick some up and how to apply it.

4 hours ago, nugget108 said:

Hey Doug, try some CLR. It works really good for iron stained gold and quartz. I use it in my ultrasonic cleaner and it is quite amazing!

Hi Dan, Good idea!! I have some CLR and my better-half said I can have her ultrasonic cleaner... then she said... "I'll take the new one you buy."  < word for word  LOL. :4chsmu1:

• Haha 4
14 hours ago, NvAuMiner said:

Hi Dan, Good idea!! I have some CLR and my better-half said I can have her ultrasonic cleaner... then she said... "I'll take the new one you buy."  < word for word  LOL. :4chsmu1:

FYI CLR and iron out are basically the same thing.

• Like 2

I find iron out pretty much most places even the supermarkets near me, the hardware store for sure carry it. One tip would be to heat the water before adding the iron out and specimens. Also be sure to rinse and soak in fresh water after the treatment.

It should work great on  your quartz, it has for me in the past.

• Thanks 1

It's a soak um deal.  1 day & up to 1 week depending on material and how much iron staining.  I.O. also gets out "Wad" staining to.

I am by no means an expert, but after having soaked a Heavily iron stained crystal in iron out for a year, it looked better but was still stained.

The crystal miners have a heat bath and I think ocylic acid so I think I will have to use that to finish up.

Many YouTube videos on cleaning crystals with what I mentioned. They come out real clean.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1