Nugget Shooter Forums

The Nugget Shooter's Field Guide Christmas Sale

A Terry Soloman Book Review: “The Nugget Shooter’s Field Guide,” by Reese Townes.

GoldSeeker Books; ISBN: 978-0-578-61746-6; 120 pages; Paperback; Color Photographs

“The Nugget Shooter’s Field Guide,” is a comprehensive deep dive into the world of gold “nuggetshooting,” exploring aspects of Alluvial; Eluvial; Colluvial; Eolian; and Residual gold deposits and mining.

I first became aware of the author, Reese Townes, as a frequent and respected contributor to several gold prospecting forums that I visit regularly. A successful and knowledgeable nuggetshooter, Reese grew up in Montana, where his father was a dealer for Garrett Metal Detectors. As a boy he was enamored by stories of gold prospecting he heard in his father’s shop, and soon, was out panning and detecting for the elusive treasure himself.

As he grew older, Reese learned all he could about geology and its relation to placer gold. He listened to seasoned “Sour Dough” miners and nuggetshooters, picking their brains for the hard earned knowledge and experience he would later use to find his own nuggets and pay streaks.

In his book, Reese takes the reader across the Country, from old California hydraulic mines, to ancient riverbeds, “Mass Wasting” deposits in Montana, and placer areas in Arizona deserts and mountains. His writing style is concise and refreshing, explaining methodology and complicated theory in language even I could understand.

The book is a true field guide, using color photographs to brilliantly illustrate what you are looking for when detecting tailing piles; hydraulic pits; mass wasting areas; alluvial bench deposits and more. His detecting strategies are well thought out, illustrated, and thorough.

The book features a “Photo Resource Guide,” that helps the reader become familiar with different types of gold “traps” that hide nuggets when you are trying to detect them. Reese explains how to work the different deposits and how to recognize areas that may have trapped gold.

There is a chapter devoted to equipment that goes beyond the right detectors and coils. Reese explains the tools he takes into the field that he uses for crevicing, breaking up bedrock, removing roots, or hydro-shocking a nugget out of rock. He explains why he uses the machines and coils he works with, and where you can buy them.

One of the best chapters in The Nugget Shooter’s Field Guide, is “Detecting & Base Camp Safety.” Reese dives into his personal experience with putting felt soles on waders to reduce slipping on algae covered creek rocks, building simple “Boma” fences around his tent, and putting up flash/bang trip wires to deter bears, cougars, and humans from entering your camp at night.

The book is 9”x6”x.5” so it fits neatly into your daypack, and can be carried easily in the field. In my opinion this is one of the finest field guides available to nuggetshooters learning how to be successful out on the claims. Add The Nugget Shooter’s Field Guide to your library today!

• Like 3

Nice review Terry, what a great price for such an informative book on prospecting with a metal detector. Its a small price to pay to shorten the learning curve in this hobby of searching out those elusive nuggets. For me it took years and years out in the field observing different scenarios and environments, beginner's today   have the benefit of buying guides like this to help them out in the field. Anyone willing to spend good hard earned cash on a detector should buy this guide and have it in their collection as a reference. I have been detecting for 40 years and 30 for nuggets, I will order mine soon because even if I learn a few things I never knew it has the potential  to be worth its weight in GOLD. 

I noticed you do not take Paypal...is there a way to pay with PayPal?

Edited by Relichunter2016
  • Like 1

I used to use PayPal but I kept running into log in issues so I switched to square. It is totally secure. In fact I feel it's more secure than PayPal. It is basically the same but better. You can use any card with it. It is a fast and easy purchasing in my website. I will get a notification as soon as it is ordered and next morning I ship it out

https://goldseekerbooks.com

I have things in this book that even seasoned nugget hunters can benefit from, such as The Townes Theory, Mass Wasting, and other topics. I will post on here what Lunk had to say about it.

• Like 2

Would you like to learn how to take your nugget detecting to an exciting and rewarding new level?  In 'The Nugget Shooter's Field Guide', author and experienced prospector Reese Townes shows you how to increase your gold recovery with a metal detector through his tips on detecting strategies, what to look for in the field to recognize gold geology and identify gold deposits, and how to expand productive areas to detect by applying his new Townes' Theory. Other topics include modern nugget detectors and prospecting equipment, safety while detecting and camping, how to hunt old mine workings, cleaning your gold specimens, and more.

I found this book to be very informative and detail oriented, with a plethora of color photos and diagrams illustrating practical techniques and theory that, at the end of the day, puts more gold into the nugget hunter's poke. I liked the way that the author uses repetition in the text to drive home key aspects to being successful in the field when searching for gold with a metal detector. I met Reese in the goldfields, where he was applying his “layering” technique as explained in the book, and I was quite impressed when he showed me the nuggets he had been finding as a result. He struck me as an avid, experienced prospector, and his willingness to share his hard-won knowledge in his freshman publication is laudable. I believe that newbies and seasoned pros alike will enjoy and benefit from reading 'The Nugget Shooter's Field Guide', and I look forward to Reese's next Goldseeker book. - Lunk

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, remember my sale on The Nugget Shooter's Field Guide is running til December 31, 2020. Hurry and get your copy. Lots of good info for newbies and seasoned pros. I have info in my book you won't find in any other book. The skills you will learn in my book can be applied worldwide, not just mountainous terrain or deserts.

https://goldseekerbooks.com

result_1605808708452.jpg