Nugget Shooter Forums

Found a really nice piece!

Just snooping around in a new area, not expecting much, when I stumbled into this lump right in the middle of the wash. Not quite an overload signal on the 4500, but really loud. I am pretty sure a Walmart $99 detector would have found it. Maybe 6" down, and in the most obvious spot in the wash. I have no idea how the last 50 guys to walk up this wash missed it, but I'll take it!

Most of the specimen is worn somewhat smooth, but one side clearly broke off something larger. The edge is so sharp and fragile that I broke a tiny piece of gold off with my tounge giving it the mouth-wash out of the hole. I can't imagine it moved more than a few feet, after breaking off a bigger hunk.

I went back the next day, but no luck on the rest of it. Gonna spend a few more hours chasing that!

I will try my hand at a specific gravity test on this one, but oh my, it is a nice, satisfying weight, no matter what the math says!

Far and away my best find so far.

Thanks for looking, keep hunting!

Regards, Kyle

ws-1.jpg

IMG_20201129_154642.jpg

IMG_20201129_154658.jpg

Edited by Trailertrash
3rd grade sentence struture
  • Like 17
  • well done 9
  • wow 1

Wow!!  Congratulations on that one !!  :thumbsupanim

Was it on bedrock or in the gravels?

• Thanks 1

Sweet!!!! Get a shove and start digging the wash out. Really nice score. Congrats. :thumbsupanim

Was it Arizona?
Tom H.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, fishing8046 said:

Very nice. The rest of it may still be on the bank slightly above. Good Luck I hope you find more!

Thanks!

There is a bench area (inside bend) a few feet up the wash from where I found this, so I will be going low and slow over that with the NF 17x13" for sure.

Regards, Kyle

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, LukeJ said:

Wow!!  Congratulations on that one !!  :thumbsupanim

Was it on bedrock or in the gravels?

Thanks!

I found this in a group of flat rocks, on bedrock, but in relatively loose overburden. Most of the gold I find here is like that, just sitting there. Very few pieces have come out of what looks like ancient clay, or a deep crack. 

Regards, Kyle

• Like 2
44 minutes ago, TomH said:

Sweet!!!! Get a shove and start digging the wash out. Really nice score. Congrats. :thumbsupanim

Was it Arizona?
Tom H.

Thanks!

I hear ya on the shovel, and so does my back :)

I do plan to take some samples out of the bedrock and run it through my buddy's sluice.

Still in Nevada, haven't tried my hand at AZ yet!

Regards, Kyle

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Trailertrash said:

Thanks!

I hear ya on the shovel, and so does my back :)

I do plan to take some samples out of the bedrock and run it through my buddy's sluice.

Still in Nevada, haven't tried my hand at AZ yet!

Regards, Kyle

I have hammered the heck out of some spots in the past......and went back in with a shovel and dug it out. Got a lot more after that using my VLF detector. Its a pain digging. Sit down and act like your rowing a boat. Not so hard on the back and that way you can sit on a pad

and scoot around :) Dont forget to detect your throw piles. GOOD LUCK TO YA!!!!

Hope to see more from that spot. :ya:

Tom H. 

• Like 3

What a beautiful piece!!  That has a lot of character.. I wouldn't care what it weighted..

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys.

Been out to that wash and a few other nearby, not a speck to be found! I will keep hammering away at it. Lots of bedrock below the spot I found this piece, mixed with some deep overburden. A nice rain might well make a difference!

Now getting it back from my Wife is proving more difficult than finding it in the first place....

Regards, Kyle

• Haha 2

Ok, things are getting spicy now! Found this 8g specimen today, a couple hundred feet down the same wash. Interestingly, it appears to be a different alloy than the first piece. Much darker yellow. I feel like that is an important clue, but I am not sure how the puzzle fits together yet. 

Whatever the case, I am absolutely stoked. I will update as I go, thanks for looking, and more importantly, all the info and stories you guys post. They absolutely help the new guy!👍

Regards, Kyle

ws-4.jpg

ws-2.jpg

• Like 8
  • well done 4

Crimmy! Your doing great!!!

This does not happen much.....enjoy the heck out of it. :ya:

Tom H.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WOW!!! 2 thumbs-up... :thumbsupanim  Congrats on another stunning piece..  Said it before & I'll say it again, I love gold in host rock...  Keep swinging... there's more.. :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Kyle.................start detecting the banks and hillsides also. I know it can seem boring...but that gold came from somewhere and it might just be a little out of the wash up on the sides. 

I know you said you did not find any other small stuff, but, if you dig down and hit it with a VLF, I bet you will find more that way. 

GO Geet it!!
Tom H.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, NvAuMiner said:

WOW!!! 2 thumbs-up... :thumbsupanim  Congrats on another stunning piece..  Said it before & I'll say it again, I love gold in host rock...  Keep swinging... there's more.. :)

Thanks, and I agree. Specimens are fascinating to me. I will hunt this wash like a dog, believe me!

My back has informed me we are taking a day off tomorrow😆

The Gpx loves that deep iron trash, and I am only good for 15-20 bomb craters per day, before the old spine says 'nuff.

Wish I had started this hobby at 20, but I doubt I would have had the patience back then...

Regards, Kyle

Edited by Trailertrash
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, TomH said:

Kyle.................start detecting the banks and hillsides also. I know it can seem boring...but that gold came from somewhere and it might just be a little out of the wash up on the sides. 

I know you said you did not find any other small stuff, but, if you dig down and hit it with a VLF, I bet you will find more that way. 

GO Geet it!!
Tom H.

Thanks Tom! 

Yeah, I have hit a little bit of the hillside, but I plan to give it a good bit of effort, once I am sure I have cleaned out the wash.

The hillside has a lot of quartz float, some with iron on stains. There are dozer scrapes at the top of the wash also. 

Total trash fest up there, but I'm gonna have to suck it up, and wade into that too. Could be where this came from...

Regards, Kyle

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Trailertrash said:

Thanks, and I agree. Specimens are fascinating to me. I will hunt this wash like a dog, believe me!

My back has informed me we are taking a day off tomorrow😆

The Gpx loves that deep iron trash, and I am only good for 15-20 bomb craters per day, before the old spine says 'nuff.

Wish I had started this hobby at 20, but I doubt I would have had the patience back then...

Regards, Kyle

Hey Kyle, Every time I start out I'm like this >:hiker: and always end up like this  >:olddude:  The one thing I'm guaranteed to find when time I'm out swinging. . . is a back ache.  I still think I do alright for an almost old-fart w/two back surgery's under their belt.

Rest up -n- get after it . . .

• Like 1
  • Haha 3