Nugget Shooter Forums

Large amount of burned silver and a few gold coins

I was given a large amount of burned coins, I have improved a few. I've tried, vinegar, hot sauce, silver cleaner and Coca-Cola. A goodly amount is burned into a a few small lumps and one sizeable lump. How can they be cleaned, I can't afford to send them to a professional. Also where could I sell them. I really could use the money. All suggestions greatly appreciated.

13 minutes ago, Terre McPhail said:

I was given a large amount of burned coins, I have improved a few. I've tried, vinegar, hot sauce, silver cleaner and Coca-Cola. A goodly amount is burned into a a few small lumps and one sizeable lump. How can they be cleaned, I can't afford to send them to a professional. Also where could I sell them. I really could use the money. All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Are they silver?

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Terre McPhail said:

Most are silver a few pennies and lots of silver dollars! Would a few pictures help? I'm struggling to figure this site out!

https://www.everbritecoatings.com/silver_clean.htm#:

It's known as the aluminium - baking soda method.

Before you try this, you should leave the single silver coins alone since they could be worth silver spot plus thus worth more.

It would be interesting to see if this method would work on clumps of coins. I've tried it before but not on clumps.

• Like 1
53 minutes ago, Terre McPhail said:

Should I take the pictures down?

You can leave them up.

I really doubt the aluminum - baking soda method is going to work on those. Those are in horrific condition. 

Edited by Morlock
  • Like 1

If those are all silver coins, you can put them on a scale and measure them.  Silver is around $330 a regular pound, and I looks like you may have a few pounds.

With the shape of those, I would separate the silvers and sell them to a pawn shop.  Just get rid of those and move on with my life.

If there’s a story behind it, like a relative buried his life savings in ammo cans in his yard, I’d keep a coupe coins around to tell the story.

It’d be nice to be able to bring that to a refinery and have them extract the silver, but I know of none in the country that would do that for you for that amount.

• Like 1

chrisski Thank you for the information. I will weigh them, but where do I take them? The silver dollars I should take to a Pawn shop and what would be a fair price for one? As you can tell I am not very literate about this subject and most see a woman and sad to say they take advantage of her not having any knowledge about them. You and the others have been very helpful to this widow and I don't know what I would do without the help. If you have any answers I would be forever grateful. Looking forward to your reply.

Condolences on your loss.

https://www.kitco.com/ shows current prices for precious metals. "Spot" price is the current offer price on the market.

Do some research https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+sell+silver+coins&rlz=1C1CHBF_enUS767US767&oq=how+to+sell+silver+coins&aqs=chrome..69i57.7751j0j4&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

The more you know...

Edited by GeoJack
  • Like 1

You could tumble those coins with jewelry tumbling media and probably shine them up good. Anyone with a vibratory brass polishing machine and a charge of stainless steel media could do it in a couple hours. An old fashioned rock tumbler would do it too. 

I have tumbled some really deteriorated coins and it worked great. Im sure you could find someone close to you that does ammunition reloading that could throw them in with a load of brass and clean them right up. 

A sonic metal cleaner will do it too. There are special solutions for silver that get the job done fast. Lots of guys have them for cleaning brass and jewelry.

The technology is out there. You just need to find some business or individual that polishes metal items.

• Like 1

Try googling it..there is tons of info out there and lots of Vids. on Youtube.
Tom H.

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

The technology is out there. You just need to find some business or individual that polishes metal items.

Of course, polishing to remove the burn residue, is only to make them presentable to the shop to accept them as bullion.  It does nothing to improve any numismatic  value( if there is any.) 

In fact, if any of the coins are uncirculated, old, or rare, it decreases value. Do not polish those.

Any coin dealers in your area, Mr. McPhail?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Terre McPhail said:

It's not Mr. McPhail, I do not know of any coin dealers but will see what I can find. Thank you for your help. You wouldn't happen to know anyone that would be interested in purchasing them?

Why don't you weigh them and give us an idea of the total weight? Someone might be interested in buying them based on a percentage of what silver is worth.

• Like 1
36 minutes ago, Terre McPhail said:

That's the heaviest 11 pounds! I also spotted a few pieces of jewelry, burned like the coins.

Sorry, Terre, on the mixup.

With no idea of where you are in the world it would be hard to rec'd a purchaser.

Unless you really need the money, i would hold off.  Keep you pile of booty. It should appreciate.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Terre McPhail said:

That's the heaviest 11 pounds! I also spotted a few pieces of jewelry, burned like the coins.

Didn't you state you had some gold coins? Are those melted into the clumps as well?

• Like 1