Nugget Shooter Forums

Nash hood ornaments are DONE!

I was finally able to finish up a project I started a very long time ago this week. I bought the hood ornaments for 1949-1955 from the Nash automobile. I think they are some of the most beautiful hood ornaments ever made. But, they were on a very homely car! Some were in pretty rough. I did all the prep work and plating myself on these and took great pains to make sure the faces and lines were perfect. The reflections on them kind of goof them up. Chrome is very hard to photograph. The process involves sandblasting them to remove all the corrosion, drilling out each pit and filling with solder, sanding all that smooth, and then copper plating/sanding at least 3 separate times to get them smooth. Then buffing them out to a high shine and after that I put on the nickel/chrome plating. Im really happy with them and have them on display now to enjoy. The PETTY stamp you see in one of the pics is because George Petty (pin up artist in the 50s) designed 1953-1955. Enjoy! ūüôā

1953-nash-statesman-1.jpg

DSC05735.JPG

DSC05736.JPG

DSC05737.JPG

DSC05738.JPG

DSC05739.JPG

DSC05740.JPG

DSC05741.JPG

DSC05742.JPG

DSC05743.JPG

DSC05744.JPG

DSC05745.JPG

DSC05746.JPG

DSC05747.JPG

DSC05748.JPG

DSC05750.JPG

DSC05753.JPG

DSC05754.JPG

DSC05755.JPG

SAM_2878.JPG

SAM_2879.JPG

SAM_2892.JPG

SAM_2895.JPG

SAM_2898.JPG

SAM_2901.JPG

SAM_2924.JPG

• Like 1
  • well done 6
  • wow 1

Nice work and nice collection :thumbsupanim All you need is a Rolls Royce hood ornament :arrowheadsmiley: No Nugget Mike C...:200:

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Mike C... said:

Nice work and nice collection :thumbsupanim All you need is a Rolls Royce hood ornament :arrowheadsmiley: No Nugget Mike C...:200:

Rolls Royce has come out with a new hood ornament called the Spirit of Ecstasy bonnet sculpture. This little charm costs a whopping $200,000! It's made of platinum and diamonds... about 150 carats!

1 minute ago, Mike C... said:

Rolls Royce has come out with a new hood ornament called the Spirit of Ecstasy bonnet sculpture. This little charm costs a whopping $200,000! It's made of platinum and diamonds... about 150 carats!

$200,000 Hood Ornaments

• Like 1

Although I have seen some of those hood ornaments laying around the last couple of years I did not know that you were working on a collection/display.  They sure look sleek and shiny.  The chrome sure picks up the blue background all right.  What if you photographed them outside on a dull day?

Old Tom

• Like 2

Wow !!   That's some fantastic work there Tom !!  :thumbsupanim

• Like 1

WOW ! !  Nice . . .  Great attention to doing it right and they all look awesome.  I like the display. :thumbsupanim

• Like 1

Holy cow Tom!! Amazing job for sure! You should definitely be proud of those bud.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Mike C... said:

$200,000 Hood Ornaments

I dont think getting one of them is going to happen in the near future :) 

Tom

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, Old Tom said:

Although I have seen some of those hood ornaments laying around the last couple of years I did not know that you were working on a collection/display.  They sure look sleek and shiny.  The chrome sure picks up the blue background all right.  What if you photographed them outside on a dull day?

Old Tom

It washes out and looks blurry in sunlight...a dull day is good but have to wait for it. and then it picks up all the surrounding areas ....The photograph box I made  with black on the top and blue on the sides seems to work best to show chrome. Im working on an new way to take pics of chrome tomorrow so that there is no reflection on the front side. IE....a big white curtain with just the lens sticking through.  Chrome is very hard to capture correctly. 

Tom H  

• Like 2