Nugget Shooter Forums

Hey guys new here and have a question? Hematite? Meteorite?

Hello all, I found this a few days ago on my property, I am not a meteorite hunter but just noticed it looked different and caught my eye. A magnet does not stick to it and it has shiny chome like pieces in it, one about the size of a pin head but others very tiny. Also has a black crust like coating in some places and rust colored places as well. It weighs 43 grams and is about the size of a pecan. Here are some pics and any help greatly appreciated!

20201110_225131.jpg

20201110_225115.jpg

20201110_224307.jpg

20201110_223504.jpg

20201110_224043.jpg

20201110_223750.jpg

20201110_222943.jpg

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That's the right idea, noticing a rock different then the rest, but in general most meteorites will pull towards the magnet, and don't usually find them round. I think you have some native earth rock

Lunk, I tend to agree and without boring you and others during the holidays with the research I have done, I will cut to the chase. I believe the small round concretions that I have are Goethite Concr

There was no sarcasm in my post.  It was negative only in that it wasn't affirmative.

Posted Images

That's the right idea, noticing a rock different then the rest, but in general most meteorites will pull towards the magnet, and don't usually find them round. I think you have some native earth rock there my friend. Good luck with your new interest, they are out there. ht

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
18 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

It is a hematite concretion. A Moqui marble.

Thanks! I believe thats what it is after looking them up. I am in Arkansas and trying to figure out how it got on my property as it seems from what I read they are pretty much native to Utah? 

Gonna research it some more and thanks to all that have commented, much appreciated!

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, CGR said:

Thanks! I believe thats what it is after looking them up. I am in Arkansas and trying to figure out how it got on my property as it seems from what I read they are pretty much native to Utah? 

Gonna research it some more and thanks to all that have commented, much appreciated!

Moqui marble is a name for hematite concretions from a specific location. Hematite concretions are quite common all over the world, and are known to be found in Arkansas. 

Something else found in Arkansas are spherical pyrite nodules. Over time, pyrite can oxidize into hematite. I suspect that might be what you have here. 

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...

CGR, do you live in Southeast Arkansas by any chance. I have found rocks similar to yours here in Northeast Louisiana. The owner of the property here has never seen this in his field. A friend of mine witnessed a fall on this property several years ago and I recovered many rocks from that fall, almost exactly like what you show.

CGR, you might want to google AMS event 611 September 28, 2010. According to AMS, this event path came over Arkansas and is the event where I recovered several rocks from the farmers field. Pic is some of the rocks I found. They resemble Apollo Regolith Breccia. I have also attached the Apollo pic for comparison. 

122310 (18).JPG

Apollo Lunar Regolth Breccia.jpg

Unable to attach the file for some reason. I found an interesting study on IntechOpen, a publisher of open source books by scientists. The title is, "Hematite Spherules on Mars". I think it was published in 2018. It explains a lot about what scientists are finding out through study and research. It also tells how these Hematites could have come from Mars. Just google Hematite Spherules on Mars and it should pop up.

• Haha 1
21 hours ago, donkemp said:

CGR, you might want to google AMS event 611 September 28, 2010. According to AMS, this event path came over Arkansas and is the event where I recovered several rocks from the farmers field. Pic is some of the rocks I found. They resemble Apollo Regolith Breccia. I have also attached the Apollo pic for comparison. 

122310 (18).JPG

Apollo Lunar Regolth Breccia.jpg

99.9999999999% these are terrestrial rocks.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, donkemp said:

... It also tells how these Hematites could have come from Mars. 

Fake news bro.

While the article you reference does discuss hematite nodules on Mars it DOES NOT indicate that any could have found their way to earth.

Hematite nodules are common in sandstone. Not one single hematite nodule has ever fallen from the sky. Nor have any scientists suggested that they have.

• Like 2

Thanks for the correction Bob. Your are correct, no hematite nodule to my knowledge has fallen to earth. That is until it does. I don't know the authors of this article or their background, so perhaps I shouldn't have shared it or indicated the hematite nodules came from Mars. I need to read closer next time. I don't know if the article is fake news or if you are suggesting I am fake news. If the latter, I can assure you I am not fake, just mistaken. I do like what the article says, truth or not, and it could explain how some of the nodules could have made their way to earth.

• Like 1

Morlock, you may well be right but there is that small percent. Not saying what these are but unusual story behind these rocks and others. There always is, right? These rocks, along with others are from a witnessed fall into a field and small ditch that runs through the field. Small strewn field but some found almost a mile away by another person who owns property in the area. The crop in the field had all been harvested and ground plowed under before I could pick up these rocks, lying on top of the ground. Property owners of both finds stated these rocks and bigger ones had never been seen in their fields which they had farmed for over twenty-five years. I picked these up about six weeks after the fall. I sent three samples of the rocks shown here to a University Lab for mineral testing. All three sample results showed platinum, gold, nickel, ferrous iron, and other minerals. I do know these rocks do not belong here in Louisiana and are some weird rocks. Some of the mineral found in them are very rare in terrestrial rocks and have never been mined or found here in Louisiana. The geologist that started the geology program at then Northeast Louisiana University said they were basaltic in nature and not of this world but he about nine other geologist could not tell me where they came from. These were recovered ten years ago and I still don't know where they came from. 

Morlock, forgot to ask. Are you saying the pic I posted on the bottom are terrestrial rocks? Those were rocks brought back from the lunar surface by Apollo mission. I think it was Apollo 15 but I can go back and check. Pic was taken from Apollo history information. My samples from the first pic do resemble the Apollo rocks but just possibly not as weathered.

It's just my opinion guys and sort of a test. I am a new member but not new to researching,  meteorites. I began reading post on this site to hopefully learn more about meteorites from others. Morlock jumped on here and said lunar samples were terrestrial. Haven't heard anything from him since I posted that truth, so as I first learned, you can't tell if it's a meteorite just by looking. Especially looking at a picture. I know, the sarcastic 99.99999999% is his excuse for saying I didn't actually identify as a meteorite, but I get the message. By the way I said I didn't know that they were.  Mikestang, since I only have analysis on my samples and nothing but a written description of Lunar rocks, there is only the one similarity I mentioned. The rocks look "similar". To you they do not and that's your opinion. If I knew my rocks were lunar, I would say that instead of comparing the only thing I had at the time, which was the pictures and written information. Bedrock Bob a streak test was done on several rocks a long time ago. I got nothing on the sample I used but have not tried on multiple rocks. I will definitely do so on several more rocks. Hardtimehermit, the samples that I have may well be hematite, but where did they come from? Does hematite contain something that is not usually found in terrestrial rocks? Especially in Louisiana. The author and other writers pointed out that Hematite has been found on Mars, in their opinion. Their opinion is backed by factual studies. 

I thank all of you for your opinion but I have one glaring observation after spending one whole day reading past post on this site. There are a few, including the three I mentioned here, who for the most part, almost always answers in a sarcastic, negative response to a new member who has a question or post a picture. It gives the impression of being a know it all about all things meteoritic. The new members are in most cases trying to find out positive information to something they have very little knowledge about and the way you answer has a big impact. The more I study about meteorites and origin possibilities the more I learn there is so much that we don't know. It's all a science and new theories and facts are being found everyday. I know it's just a few that gives the impression they can tell a meteorite just by looking at a picture. Everything I have learned says just the opposite. I fully appreciate those who try to help others with factual knowledge that guides those who are trying to find answers. I pay very little attention to those who make factual statements without facts and just based on their so called experience. 

Edited by donkemp
  • Like 1

When Morlock said those were terrestrial rocks he was referring to your hematite.

Your rocks are hematite. A simple streak test will support that.

Mike is correct. Meteorites do not resemble surface samples. This is because the surface samples did not get torn from the parent body, hurled through space and survive entry into our atmosphere.

Your stones do not resemble meteorites in any way. This is clear from the photos. So a quick glance is really all that is needed.

What meteoritic characteristics do you think these stones have?

Yes, when people post photos of meteorites the overwhelming consensus here is negative. That is because the overwhelming number of posters do not have anything that resembles a meteorite. It is not a conspiracy. It is just our opinion. We can be wrong and sometimes we are. But these are our opinions. 

If you disagree you are going to have to go to a higher authority and argue about it. 

The OP posted hematite spheres. These are obvious concretions that we are all familiar with. They are common terrestrial formations.

You posted what appears to be hematite as well. Not spherules but simply hematite nodules. These are very common especially in lowland areas like Louisiana . You have given no info that may indicate otherwise. We only have a photo so our opinions are based on that. If you want more then you will need to supply more info.

Streak, hardness, specific gravity, magnetism, attraction to a magnet, etc. are how rocks and meteorites are identified. Since we only have a photo a visual assessment is all that you can expect from anyone.

A window into the Interior is the very first thing a met hunter does on a suspect stone. This offers a clue as to the streak and the Interior matrix. If you have read the threads in this forum then you know this. If you want to convince us we are wrong I suggest you perform this test and show us the result.

I will predict the streak from creating the window will be hues of red indicating hematite. I will also predict the Interior will be sub-metallic indicating terrestrial iron ore.

Prove us wrong! Spend the five minutes it takes and snap a photo of the Interior and the cuttings. If your samples leave no streak color and the Interior shows anything besides a dark grey sub metallic luster then you have proven me wrong. Otherwise I suggest you accept our assessment and find someone who will offer other explanations.

• Like 2
  • well done 1
2 hours ago, donkemp said:

There are a few, including the three I mentioned here, who for the most part, almost always answers in a sarcastic, negative response to a new member who has a question or post a picture.

There was no sarcasm in my post.  It was negative only in that it wasn't affirmative.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Mikestang said:

Stop picking on people Mike. You just thrive on bursting bubbles that folks have spent lots of time inflating. Why can't you just go along with it and say that plain ol' rocks may have come from Mars?

How can you sleep at night knowing how many lives you have crushed with your mean spirited opinion about photos of rocks?

• Haha 1

Bedrock Bob, your comments about Mike "picking on people, bursting people's inflated bubble, not being able to sleep at night, etc." is exactly the type of comment that doesn't belong here. It only serves to demean others. I never said my rocks came from Mars and Morlock's comment was, "99.99999999999% these are terrestrial rocks". He didn't differentiate between the two pics. I think he just didn't see the second pic identified as lunar.  Also,thank you for speaking for Mikestang. To set set your mind at ease, I accept Mikestangs statement that he wasn't being sarcastic. My apologies Mikestang, I never felt you were picking on me at all. After retiring with thirty-two years in law enforcement my skin is too thick to think that. I never said anyone was mean spirited. Seems like I have touched a nerve with Bedrock Bob about reviewing post that seemed to be negative by a few people that post here on a regular basic. Perhaps it is easier to see those negative comments when someone has newly joined this forum or I could simply be wrong. I will accept the latter and try to learn in spite of myself. I value opinions, whether I agree or not. I do not have many answers about my rocks, except what I have read and test results I requested. I wish I knew but no one so far has an answer. This is a great forum but with comments like Bedrock Bob made I will be less likely to ask questions and discuss topics in the future. I too, have opinions. If I disagree or say something you don't agree with and receive answers like that I certainly won't pay attention in the future. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, donkemp said:

Bedrock Bob, your comments about Mike "picking on people, bursting people's inflated bubble, not being able to sleep at night, etc." is exactly the type of comment that doesn't belong here. It only serves to demean others. I never said my rocks came from Mars and Morlock's comment was, "99.99999999999% these are terrestrial rocks". He didn't differentiate between the two pics. I think he just didn't see the second pic identified as lunar.  Also,thank you for speaking for Mikestang. To set set your mind at ease, I accept Mikestangs statement that he wasn't being sarcastic. My apologies Mikestang, I never felt you were picking on me at all. After retiring with thirty-two years in law enforcement my skin is too thick to think that. I never said anyone was mean spirited. Seems like I have touched a nerve with Bedrock Bob about reviewing post that seemed to be negative by a few people that post here on a regular basic. Perhaps it is easier to see those negative comments when someone has newly joined this forum or I could simply be wrong. I will accept the latter and try to learn in spite of myself. I value opinions, whether I agree or not. I do not have many answers about my rocks, except what I have read and test results I requested. I wish I knew but no one so far has an answer. This is a great forum but with comments like Bedrock Bob made I will be less likely to ask questions and discuss topics in the future. I too, have opinions. If I disagree or say something you don't agree with and receive answers like that I certainly won't pay attention in the future. 

Just stick it out! There are some really great folks on this forum. You will come to realize that. So welcome aboard, and hang in there, there is a lot of knowledge here for sure.

• Like 1