Nugget Shooter Forums

GPAA Claim Cancellations

The annual BLM fees on those 4 claims were $5,280. I'm not privy to the GPAA reasons but I imagine that has something to do with it.

It looks like the fees weren't paid this year. Maybe it's time to locate your own claim?

• Like 2
2 hours ago, clay said:

The annual BLM fees on those 4 claims were $5,280. I'm not privy to the GPAA reasons but I imagine that has something to do with it.

It looks like the fees weren't paid this year. Maybe it's time to locate your own claim?

And certain people (whose I'll names I won't mention) want royalties on top of BLM fees?
That's called killing the golden goose is you ask me. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It's a square mile of land.

Gather up some buddies and claim it up.  Maybe start a new club?

• Like 3

Can’t remember if I was on Hoppy or Bahde in Gold Basin, but the 8 hours I spent on it, there was a lot of valley fill with very little bedrock, and what was there was heavily worked. I had a good time, but I did not find any gold or anything interesting worth bringing me back up there.

You won’t see my signature go on a claim form for that area.

As for the GPAA, they lease the claims from the owner and they will drop a claim for different reasons.  One guess would be they probably noticed the unpaid fees.  Another guess would be no claim reports filed, not reviews filed on their website.

• Like 2

GPAA claims are iffy. Always have been. Some may be in good placer but from my experience that is not the norm.

Here in New Mexico they have several claims but many aren't even in gold bearing areas. And the ones that are are way out on the fringes of anything productive. 

When the cost of claims go up it SHOULD weed out those that have very little mineral potential. We all know there are a lot of "claims" out there that are held for reasons other than a valuable mineral deposit. It all comes down to how much you are willing to pay to say you have a "claim" and if you are willing to pay for a "claim" that is not profitable.

The GPAA has those claims to promote membership. Not because of the profit potential of the minerals. Others have claims just for a spot to go they can call their own. Some have claims to try and sell to someone. Some have claims to try and get investors. When the cost of holding worthless claims is more than the benefits they get abandoned. In many cases the "benefits" are not mineral but something else all together.

• Like 2

Way I look at it, the GPAA is a good organization to join if you want something reasonably priced, $80 per year, that has claims across the 13 or so states that allow mineral claims and access to gem and mineral leases in many other states.  Good if you want to travel.

Locally in Arizona, Roadrunner is great if you want to go to claims all over the state, but nowhere else.  The membership is not cheap.  Although not a member, the claims I've seen that are roadrunner are in interesting areas.

Even more local, there's other clubs out there that have claims in a single town or county.  The ones I've looked into are fairly cheap.  The two I've looked at seem all over the board.  Both had an easy access claim, like park on the side of the paved road easy that did not look promising, to remote areas in proven gold bearing areas.

All of those are good places to network and learn how to prospect, but not going to be a good idea to pay $80 a year, quit your day job to help sustain yourself off the gold you find on them.  Personally, I've had better luck on the club claims than places I try to prospect myself, but I enjoy the adventures better in the places I spend 40 hours researching before I put my boots on the ground to do a day of prospecting.  Either way, never found much worth speaking of.

Anyway, for what the clubs pay for leases, I would not expect a club to have an area where you could give up your day job, but that's why you need to prospect.

• Like 1