Nugget Shooter Forums

I don't think de-listing wolves means you can hunt them at will. 

Just like repealing no- hunt laws on game refuges does not mean that refuges are open for hunting.

It just means States are free to manage populations as they see fit.

Anyone that would shoot a wolf for sport has some serious issues IMHO.

I don't know anyone that shoots animals for sport Bob. Not sure why you brought that up? The question was about whether wolves were good eating.

Several states have already put in place wolf hunting regulations, they were just waiting for the FWS to finalize the reclassification. You've always been allowed to kill wolves in New Mexico if they are endangering your livestock. My friend Whitey shot the last one in the Gila about 10 years ago when it tried to eat one of his steers. I imagine several people in Montana are right now planning their first legal wolf hunt.

There are 567 FWS national wildlife refuges. Of those 370 are open to hunting. It's up to the FWS and the state whether you can hunt the wolves found in those designated wildlife refuges.

I don't know anything about game refuge regulations. Those are usually State efforts or private hunting preserves.

• Like 2

Yeah I didn't think they would be good eating. I thought the same thing about lion when I was young but after trying some it's now my favorite wild meat, Ibex is a close second. What didn't you like about wolf meat?

What problem? I didn't know I had a problem Bob. Simple or not I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion I have a problem? Maybe you could explain how I misled you into believing there was a problem raised in my post. :)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • 2 months later...

I think in the hands of a good cook it would be.  While living in Taiwan I ate dog sausages with plum sauce and garlic greens and it was delicious, on the other hand I've had coyote at a wild game feed and it tasted just like they smell when you skin one.  Take care of the meat and learn to season canine meat and I'm sure it would be edible.  Cat, "The other white meat"

4 hours ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

May be the younger one's are good eating  where  game  is plentiful.

Trivia: Veal is to cow as ? is to wolf...

That would be puppies.

I was thinking of almost adult size puppies.

I'd be more partial to panther, as far as being good eating.  Seems like it's  mentioned , as such.  in more than one western novel and some nonfictional accounts I  have read.

:pop:Anyone  have some beaver tail?

Edited by Stillweaver hillbelli

Ben Lilly ate mountain lion and bear. He was one of the greatest hunters that ever lived. He spent most of his days in what is now the Gila National Forest in New Mexico. He is buried in Silver City. I have made pilgrimages to his grave several times and hunted all my life in the canyons he haunted.

He hunted with a pack of hounds. He hunted men as well as lion and bear. He guided Teddy Roosevelt in an area that would become the first wilderness in the United States. The Alto Leopold wilderness just north of my home.

He didn't eat puppies. I would like to think he had more sense than that. I would bet he didn't eat horses or mules either. Just a hunch.

Be like Ben Lilly. Don't eat puppies.

Be like 63% of New Mexicans and eat tacos. Don't be like the 37% who are eating crow.

13 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Be like 63% of New Mexicans and eat tacos. Don't be like the 37% who are eating crow.

What's a diner to do when you order the taco and the server gives you crow?

1 minute ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

What's a diner to do when you order the taco and the server gives you crow?

That means the guy making the tacos thinks you are a pendejo.