Nugget Shooter Forums

What a tough year here in Nevada for deer. The deer were everywhere in August for archery season but when rifle season rolled around, they were gone. I think with the Covid stuff going on here, there were just so people and side by sides everywhere. Hunters and non-hunters just out cruising every road they could find so i think it kind of pushed the critters around. Yesterday was her last day to hunt so we had to find a buck or she would just had to find a doe. Being her last youth tag, she was really wanting a buck. Well after lots of worn out boot leather, we finally found one yesterday that was starting to sniff the Does. Not a monster but 24 inches wide and pretty tall. And one h$!! of a pack out haha.

IMG_1272.jpg

IMG_1304.jpg

• Like 2
  • well done 4

Nice buck!

The rack looks almost identical to my son's. 3 on the right and four on the left.

That rascal is sure black on his head. Like a toupe'. Ours are generally frosty white up there with a little color around their eyebrows.

It looks like you packed the whole deer out? 

• Like 1

Yes sir, we packed the whole thing out. We usually just quarter them out all the time. We hunt so far in, thats our only option. Plus my oldest son wasn't able to go yesterday due to school stuff, so the pack out was a little more intense lol. Yeah usually the bucks have a cool mask with black and white. This was a really young deer so the mask wasn't as pronounced as a more mature deer.

• Like 2

We are always a couple miles in at least. In some cases we may be 5 or 6 miles from the vehicle. Many times we are way up in the rocks or on big volcanic traps that would make carrying a deer impossible.

We take cloth bags of meat out. No hooves, hide, bones or any of that. It all goes down into the packs in bags except the head. 

• Like 1

Haha usually i cut the hooves off before i pack the quarters in the game bags, but this time i left the saw a mile back at the truck. Yeah we pack out all of the meat still bone in. Unless its an elk, then we debone it on the mountain. I just like getting it done as fast as we can to minimize the dirt and grass and hair getting on the meat. Plus its usually kind of warm, so i like getting it back to the ice chests fast too. But unless were saving it for a shoulder mount, the hide stays. We bag all of the meat we cut off and leave the carcass pretty high and dry for the other critters haha. Yeah i didn't mean the "whole" thing lol.

• Like 1

Yeah, when we get done with the carcass it makes you feel sorry for the coyotes. There is not much to pick.

I love the liver and the heart. I always pack them out. And I'll generally take the neck, brisket and the rib meat off with the backstrap in two big slabs. We only leave the meat between the ribs in the field. 

Are you going to do a european mount like your son's archery deer? My son is boiling his skull right now as he butcher's his meat.

• Like 1

Yep just a euro mount. Its at my taxidermist buddy right now. Just dropped it off today. Heres Cameron holding it up.

20201102_111236.jpg

• Like 2

That's a nice buck Dan!!  Beats the hell out of tag soup.  Congrats on getting it done for your daughter.  I'm sure she's stoked...

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, nugget108 said:

What a tough year here in Nevada for deer. The deer were everywhere in August for archery season but when rifle season rolled around, they were gone. I think with the Covid stuff going on here, there were just so people and side by sides everywhere. Hunters and non-hunters just out cruising every road they could find so i think it kind of pushed the critters around. Yesterday was her last day to hunt so we had to find a buck or she would just had to find a doe. Being her last youth tag, she was really wanting a buck. Well after lots of worn out boot leather, we finally found one yesterday that was starting to sniff the Does. Not a monster but 24 inches wide and pretty tall. And one h$!! of a pack out haha.

IMG_1272.jpg

IMG_1304.jpg

Very impressive in anybody's book . . .  And with no weather. 

Piling up the Good Time's/memories. 

• Thanks 1