Nugget Shooter Forums

Help identifying these rocks/minerals and knowing how best to clean them up. PLEASE!!! Thank you!

I purchased these at an auction. They are said to be from Australia, and were shipped to Alaska in 1991. Some are quite large and in need of cleaning and I am want to give them to my sister who is an avid rock lover, but I don't want to give them as is. I want to clean them up and maybe make smaller for easier display, but without knowing what they are I have no idea where to start. Any advise on how what to do with the rocks, or how to clean them up would be super helpful! Rock two and six are quite large, the second I tried to clean up but has lots of brown covering once side making it hard to see the purple and white. Also rock six has what I have been told mica all over it. It is super cool and shinny, but when handling it the mica falls off... I am unsure of what to do. You cant see the crystals in it due to dirt, but if I clean it I have a feeling most the mica will fall off. Just wondering what other rock lovers would do! 

Rock One

No description available.No description available.

Rock Two

No description available.No description available.No description available.

Three

Four

Five

No description available.No description available.

Six

No description available.No description available.No description available.No description available.

Your purple rock is mica schist (purple mica is called lepidolite), I happen to have some samples from Australia myself.

As far as the other stuff goes I'm not so sure what needs to be cleaned. If its dust/dirt covered you can rinse in and gently scrub in water. If you are trying to remove iron oxide stains iron out works well for that, for removing carbonate material you can try to remove with vinegar or stronger acids like muriatic.