Nugget Shooter Forums

Cool sandstone, but what it is?

Mila

29 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Those are worm tubes.

Thanks. I thought about this also, but I have never ever found anything  even remotely similar on this beach. Besides this sandstone is fused from many individual sand grains. Could worms do something like this?

5 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Yes. They secrete slime and the sand sticks to it. Ants and wasps do a very similar structure with saliva.

It really isn't a mineral or a fossil. It is a structure built from sand grains like building blocks 

They must be pretty fragile. I'm surprised they hold together as well as they do.

52 minutes ago, Morlock said:

They must be pretty fragile. I'm surprised they hold together as well as they do.

I think they have some calcification going on. The ones I've seen are pretty durable. 

No doubt they crumble pretty fast. 

I have seen them in fresh water and salt water. The ones in mountain streams are crunchy. The ones on the beach are more durable. Probably two different critters but the same sand tube idea.

I guess with the right conditions they might calcify into something a lot more durable.