Nugget Shooter Forums

Funny that another member posted the photos of the garnet ball, as I have garnet photos to post.

I was walking a wash on the North side of Tucson today, when I came on some quartz and feldspar fragments that had been transported down from Mt Lemon.  I picked up several pieces, planning to cut these into squares and turn into thin sections to use with my new polarize microscope.  After cleaning the samples I had a look under my 20X/40X bino microscope.  I first had a look at a plagioclase feldspar sample.  To my surprise I saw all these beautiful, small, honey-orange garnets.  They are the manganese rich spessartite garnets.  I decided to give a go at getting photos through the microscope with my iPhone 5.  The first are the garnets at 20X and the next are at 40X.

Next, as I was washing the quartz sample, I was able to clean most of the dirt off except two spots.   Turnes out the dirt is two large garnet fragments.  These are the iron rich, almandine variety.  You can see the parting (looks like cleavage but not).  These photos are just the iPhone camera zoomed in on the rock and garnet.

I need to find a good way to evenly illuminate the mineral for photographing, but these were a nice first start.

IMG_1646 (2).JPG

IMG_1649 (2).JPG

IMG_1652 (2).JPG

IMG_1653 (2).JPG

IMG_1659 (2).JPG

Edited by 4meter
  • Like 4