Nugget Shooter Forums

I live in Sonora Ca and was at a friends house today and he pulls out this 3 gram nugget and says look what I found on the ground by my chicken coup.

His house is on the side of a pretty steep hill and he had to dig out the hill to make a flat spot for the coups and a garden area and thats where he saw the nugget. soil is typical reddish dirt with rocks and some quarts, he did say he dug through a vein of what looked like crushed quartz running through the dirt.   

needless to say I'm going back tomorrow to pan some samples in the spot where he dug out and I've been thinking of buying a detector, i loaned my GMT out and it never came back so I'm thinking of getting the monster and working the hillside.

20201004_182319_2_resized.jpg

• Like 9

Beautiful piece of gold.  I'd go back there too... But with a detector first!!  I use to live in Columbia... Loved it there.  My friend was remodeling a store on main street in Sonora years ago and another friend took lunch break in the creek that runs right under main street.  He came up with a nice nugget laying right on top of exposed bed rock in the creek.  Good luck!!  

• Like 3
9 hours ago, mchoate said:

I live in Sonora Ca and was at a friends house today and he pulls out this 3 gram nugget and says look what I found on the ground by my chicken coup.

His house is on the side of a pretty steep hill and he had to dig out the hill to make a flat spot for the coups and a garden area and thats where he saw the nugget. soil is typical reddish dirt with rocks and some quarts, he did say he dug through a vein of what looked like crushed quartz running through the dirt.   

needless to say I'm going back tomorrow to pan some samples in the spot where he dug out and I've been thinking of buying a detector, i loaned my GMT out and it never came back so I'm thinking of getting the monster and working the hillside.

20201004_182319_2_resized.jpg

That shore ain't chicken feed! Grab the Monster and start a scratchin'!

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

Might find some "concentrates" in a few chicken gizzards, too, when those layers turn into broilers.

True That!!!  We've had chickens for years. . . and they pretty much eat anything.

went back today and gathered some of the rocks around where the nugget was found and took home and cleaned and looked with my loop , schist and quartz and there is absolutely gold in some of the rocks, small but its there so im ordering the detector in the morning. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, fishing8046 said:

Sounds like you might want to consider a crusher too

I agree, a simple small cast iron mortise and pestle will allow you to crush any small pieces so you can pan out the small "gold" you're seeing to be sure it is gold and not pyrite.

You can make a simple crusher out of iron pipe with a end cap and another smaller but longer pipe and cap that fits inside the larger one, drop small pieces of ore inside the larger pipe and then use the smaller one and a ram to crush the ore.

• Like 3

If there is no rush to get the gold... I would wait until you get the detector to check for a booming signal in the rock... That way you won't damage a specimen nugget in the rock.  (Which I have done before)  But... For the small gold as you seeing in the loop... By all mean check it out as Au Seeker suggested. :m2c:

• Like 2

detector is on the way, we are going to hit a pile of rocks with pressure washer to blow the red dirt off and see if there is any visible gold and then hit it hard when detector arrives in couple days 

his house is almost at the top of the hill so Im thinking the source is likely in his yard and hopefully not under his house LOL

• Like 3

Tell him to be prepared for a house relocating project haha. Or the house could be a good mine shaft cover too. Nobody would know there was a shaft there.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
14 hours ago, mchoate said:

detector is on the way, we are going to hit a pile of rocks with pressure washer to blow the red dirt off and see if there is any visible gold and then hit it hard when detector arrives in couple days 

his house is almost at the top of the hill so Im thinking the source is likely in his yard and hopefully not under his house LOL

I wouldn't power wash the rocks. Surface gold would be blasted off. Also, specimen gold is worth bigger bucks when cleaned up so don't just crush rocks before checking them out.

DSCF2085.JPG

• Like 2
17 hours ago, nugget108 said:

Or the house could be a good mine shaft cover too. Nobody would know there was a shaft there.

This sounds like the plot to a great old Steve McQueen movie. Only there were no chickens.  Had there been, there would have been no escape.

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...

Chickens sometime eat the shiny gold, I've spent a good bit of time on my former ranch panning chickenpoop...Never found anything but up in the Siskiyou County Courthouse, the gold display (mostly since stolen) had some nuggets found in chicken gizzard and chicken poop...Looked just as good as all the rest...