Nugget Shooter Forums

I want to start searching in the UK for Roman gold coins and am confused as to what is the best beginner detector to use for Gold finds only. I've been looking at various options online but each has their own good and worse points. Tempted by the MINELAB Gold Monster 1000 as it seems to be so automatic in it's setup for a complete novice. I only want to buy once, so would prefer to spend a little more rather than having more than one device.

Any advice from more experienced people than me is very welcome.

Most Roman gold in the UK was buried for protection from assailants to be recovered after conflicts had finished - most stayed in the ground lost. Typically buried up to 12 inches below the surface but in some cases land movement could have buried the coins further by a few feet. All Roman gold has a purity somewhere between 99.9% and 81% (mostly higher up the scale).

Thanks for reading.

I won’t recommend a metal detector, I have a Minelab XTerra 705 for coin hunting, but I doubt that thing is even made anymore.

I am interested in what happens if you find anything.  Don’t you have to give this to the government under some sort of antiquities act?

I hope your successful, whether or not you get to keep your findings.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the good wishes.

In the UK we have something called the Treasure Act which was updated in 1996, see: https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1996/24/contents. It is an Act of the UK Parliament that requires you to declare any Treasure (an object that is not a natural object, is at least 200 or 300 hundred years old, made of 10% or more of gold or silver) - such as two Roman coins or other valuable items. It is pretty fair in that the government just want the opportunity for organisations such as the British Museum to be able to purchase these items from you at a fair market price if of historical interest. The process takes about a year and you keep all the proceeds of the purchase (or the Treasure if not purchased from you), but only if found on your own land. If you find it on land that doesn't belong to you (as long as you have permission to be there for that purpose), the Act says that the proceeds/value of the Treasure is split equally between the land owner and the finder.

Of course it also highlights you for any tax revenue to be paid as well!!

How far below the surface would your Minelab XTerra 705 find a gold coin of about 7 grams in weight?

Personally i would try the newer technology like the Equinox or the Vanquish. The 705 is a good machine but the settings and functions that come with the Equinox is unbelievable. Just my opinion!!

• Like 2

I agree with nugget108.  The 705 is near a decade old technology and the Equinox and Vanquish newer.

You're not going to find a lot of info about how deep you can find a coin.  You'd think there's be a mathematical equation, but too many variables.  There's times after a rain, I can't even use the 705 because it picks up soo many hot rocks.  When dry the same soil I could a nail four or five inches.

You can check the owners manual for depth info, but you'll honestly find pictures that show you a deep gold setting will find gold deeper, but not by how much deeper per gram of weight.  If you find someone that makes the claim they have a formula, be very, very weary.  There are some videos on You Tube with the GPX 5000 that show how deep it can detect a nugget, but that is really only for that day, in that soil, in that exact area, etc.

• Like 1

And by all means if you can only afford a used 705, buy it!! They are great coin and relic machines. My buddy still uses his and does very well with it. The only difference is the newer machines separate and ID the targets better. 

• Like 1