Nugget Shooter Forums

Any ideas as to what this recent find could be?

Found this rock in a glacier moraine deposit in central Minnesota: the greenish rough part is hard  - if I were to guess the Moh's scale rating it would have to be about a 7. The white rock coming out of the formation has a soft waxy feel to it (Moh's of about 4-5). I have never seen anything like this before. I'm scratching my head on this one :idunno:

IMG_1275.JPG

IMG_1276.JPG

IMG_1277.JPG

49 minutes ago, Jadee said:

Found this rock in a glacier moraine deposit in central Minnesota: the greenish rough part is hard  - if I were to guess the Moh's scale rating it would have to be about a 7. The white rock coming out of the formation has a soft waxy feel to it (Moh's of about 4-5). I have never seen anything like this before. I'm scratching my head on this one :idunno:

IMG_1275.JPG

IMG_1276.JPG

IMG_1277.JPG

My guess would a feldspar conglomerate. That's my first impression and probably a wild guess at that.

• Like 1

I’m thinking unakite, which is epidote (Green) and plagioclase feldspar (pink). Just a guess based on the photo and the information given.

• Like 1

Its a chunk of granite.  The green staining is most likely algae.  Try soaking the sample in some strong ammonia (not Windex) for a few days, the green should come out.

Mr. 4Meter,

I did soak it in an 1 teaspoon of CLR and 1 gal of distilled water for about 5 days and gave it a good scrubbing with a firm tooth brush. I worry that if I soak it in anything stronger that white part would get ruined, it is  so soft. 

Not so sure if I want to keep it or use it for a garden rock? :)

2 hours ago, Jadee said:

Mr. 4Meter,

I did soak it in an 1 teaspoon of CLR and 1 gal of distilled water for about 5 days and gave it a good scrubbing with a firm tooth brush. I worry that if I soak it in anything stronger that white part would get ruined, it is  so soft. 

Not so sure if I want to keep it or use it for a garden rock? :)

Why would "You", want to, "keep it"? IMO, it would make a swell garden rock! :)

• Thanks 1

Who knows, white stuff could also be calcite, depends on the hardness.

6 hours ago, bigrex said:

Who knows, white stuff could also be calcite, depends on the hardness.

Add a few drops of warm vinegar onto the two different colored parts. If one fizzes, it's calcite or limestone. It will be a slow reaction so you'll have to wait a few minutes.