Nugget Shooter Forums

new clues to find iron ore deposits & rare earth elements

“Iron oxide-apatite deposits have been mined for some years as sources of iron, which is probably the single most important metal for industrial applications and infrastructure,” Steele-MacInnis said. “But in recent years, these deposits have become even more attractive because they commonly are enriched in key high-tech metals like rare earth elements, which are critical to green-energy production and electronics.”

https://www.mining.com/scientists-give-new-clues-to-find-iron-ore-deposits/

Lithium is everywhere. It is common and easily "mined". It is more of a well farm than a "mine". It's like potash mining and a lot of lithium is being extracted from the potash mining process.

Other rare earth's are a bit different. There are plenty of promising deposits. The market and the infrastructure needed to bring those metals to market are just not there. 

I think you mean claystone Slim. Claystone is a rock very similar to shale except it breaks into blocks rather than sheets.

10,000 acres of claims would be practically every claystone lithium claim in Nevada. At present no company is actually mining claystone for Lithium but several are getting closer to funding startup plants. Lithium AmericasCypress and American Lithium being the biggest claim holders in Nevada claystone lithium deposits. All but one of those projects are many years away from any chance of beginning mining.

The biggest drawback to mining claystone for lithium is the huge amount of sulfur required to create sulfuric acid for the process. At ~ $150 a market ton + transportation it's the major operating expense.

The only producing lithium mine is the Albemarle Silver Peak mine above the Clayton Valley deposits. They are successfully mining lithium from groundwater, the traditional method in the most productive Lithium mines. The Silver Peak mine and the claystone deposits are in Clayton valley near Tonopah, Nevada.

The biggest U.S. lithium deposit is located in Northern Nevada at Lithium Americas Thacker Pass. It's already well into the permitting process unlike the Clayton Valley prospects at Tonopah. They hope to begin a two year plant construction project sometime next year.

• Like 2

Tesla is getting into the mining business, buys lithium claim on 10,000 acres in Nevada

"

Drew Baglino, SVP of engineering at Tesla, said:

“We are going to use a new process that we will pioneer. It’s a sulfate-free process again, we skip the intermediate. It will result in a 33% reduction in lithium cost.”

https://electrek.co/2020/09/23/tesla-mining-business-buys-lithium-claim-acres-nevada/

1 hour ago, Dakota Slim said:

Tesla is getting into the mining business, buys lithium claim on 10,000 acres in Nevada

"

Drew Baglino, SVP of engineering at Tesla, said:

“We are going to use a new process that we will pioneer. It’s a sulfate-free process again, we skip the intermediate. It will result in a 33% reduction in lithium cost.”

https://electrek.co/2020/09/23/tesla-mining-business-buys-lithium-claim-acres-nevada/

Fake news. 

Just something to make the investors happy for another couple months. 

• Sad 1

Producing lithium from clay has so far proven difficult and costly. No company has been able to produce commercial quantities using the practice. But a push into mining is at the center of Tesla’s plan to cut battery costs and deliver on a promise to bring a $25,000 electric car to market. Musk told investors last week that Tesla has secured access to 10,000 acres of lithium-rich clay deposits in Nevada and planned to use a new, “very sustainable way” of extracting the metal.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/tesla-aims-to-mine-its-own-lithium-after-dropping-m-a-plan/ar-BB19vNhb?li=BBnbfcN

Piedmont stock dropped more than 24% since the Tesla announcement. The Piedmont agreement with Tesla commits all their Lithium estimated resources. Too bad Piedmont doesn't have a mine or a processing plant.

All signs point to no chance for Tesla to mine lithium ore for at least another 2 - 8 years. If I were a betting man I'd wager Tesla won't even exist when one of these American companies finally does produce their first ton of lithium carbonate.

So far Panasonic produces all of Tesla's batteries but they have announced potential deals with other suppliers. Maybe Tesla will turn a profit someday. :inocent:

2 hours ago, clay said:

Piedmont stock dropped more than 24% since the Tesla announcement. The Piedmont agreement with Tesla commits all their Lithium estimated resources. Too bad Piedmont doesn't have a mine or a processing plant.

All signs point to no chance for Tesla to mine lithium ore for at least another 2 - 8 years. If I were a betting man I'd wager Tesla won't even exist when one of these American companies finally does produce their first ton of lithium carbonate.

So far Panasonic produces all of Tesla's batteries but they have announced potential deals with other suppliers. Maybe Tesla will turn a profit someday. :inocent:

I just want to see the price of lithium batteries come down. I'm tired of dealing with heavy lead/acid RV batteries.

43 minutes ago, Dakota Slim said:

I just want to see the price of lithium batteries come down. I'm tired of dealing with heavy lead/acid RV batteries.

I agree Slim. It would be cool to load up my battery trays with Lithium. They are lighter, lower maintenance and last a lot longer but at current prices unobtainum for me.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, clay said:

I agree Slim. It would be cool to load up my battery trays with Lithium. They are lighter, lower maintenance and last a lot longer but at current prices unobtainum for me.

Yep. I just replaced my 8D starting battery a couple weeks ago and one of my six 6 volt house batteries that are 6 years old (666) went bad so I had to pull 2 out of service. 4 isn't enough and they are old so I'll be replacing them all 6 this weekend. If I'm around in 6 more years maybe lithium will be reasonably priced.