Nugget Shooter Forums

https://imgur.com/gallery/BFtAORH

Any part of this strongly pulls toward magnets. It's unusually heavy--I would almost think it's solid iron. None of it appears to be rock. About 3/4 the size of my fist. 1 lb 9 oz. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Also, I let it sit in the house for a bit and now it's very cold to the touch. Which makes me suspect even more that its is solid metal. 

Edited by allquieton
6 hours ago, allquieton said:

https://imgur.com/gallery/BFtAORH

Any part of this strongly pulls toward magnets. It's unusually heavy--I would almost think it's solid iron. None of it appears to be rock. About 3/4 the size of my fist. 1 lb 9 oz. Any opinions would be appreciated.

Also, I let it sit in the house for a bit and now it's very cold to the touch. Which makes me suspect even more that its is solid metal. 

Not a meteorite. 

5 hours ago, Morlock said:

Not a meteorite. 

Do you say that b/c of the pitting/ cavities or some other reason?

also, if it is solid iron, and is not a meteorite, would that indicate that it's man-made? Or is there another possibility? 

2 minutes ago, allquieton said:

Do you say that b/c of the pitting/ cavities or some other reason?

also, if it is solid iron, and is not a meteorite, would that indicate that it's man-made? Or is there another possibility? 

Just the general shape and the pitting.

Have you done a streak test on it? Take a fine file to it onto a piece of white paper. Smear it. Report the color.

Not sure what you have but not a meteorite.

1 minute ago, Morlock said:

Have you done a streak test on it? Take a fine file to it onto a piece of white paper. Smear it with your finger. Report the color..if any.

15 minutes ago, Morlock said:

Have you done a streak test on it? Take a fine file to it onto a piece of white paper. Smear it. Report the color.

ok thanks-i can do a streak test when i get home from work tonight. 

On 9/26/2020 at 8:56 AM, Morlock said:

Streak test is brown.

I cut it with an angle grinder, but it's brittle and small pieces break off before I finish a cut. Here's what the cut looks like:

https://imgur.com/gallery/pZEjms0

Edited by allquieton
12 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

It is sub metallic. An terrestrial iron ore. Hematite.

I ruled out hematite because a magnet pull it quite strongly. But i don't know much about it-does some hematite attract magnets? 

"Hematite is not magnetic and should not respond to a common magnet. However, many specimens of hematite contain enough magnetite that they are attracted to a common magnet. This can lead to an incorrect assumption that the specimen is magnetite or the weakly magnetic pyrrhotite"

7 minutes ago, BMc said:

"Hematite is not magnetic and should not respond to a common magnet. However, many specimens of hematite contain enough magnetite that they are attracted to a common magnet. This can lead to an incorrect assumption that the specimen is magnetite or the weakly magnetic pyrrhotite"

Gotcha-but it would be a weak pull in that case is what I read. This rock pull a magnet nearly as much as solid steel would.  it's a strong pull.

but i do think the brittleness and hardness and color make hematite a good match.

2 hours ago, allquieton said:

I ruled out hematite because a magnet pull it quite strongly. But i don't know much about it-does some hematite attract magnets? 

Some hematite specimens are magnetic. You said it streaked brown. That is indicative of hematite. Not magnetite. 

Regardless of the classification of your rock it is clearly not metallic. It is an sub metallic mineral. Meteorites contain free metal. Not mineral metal. 

Free metallic iron is just like knife steel. Bright and silver shiny. 

Terrestrial iron is Mineral. Mineral iron is sub metallic. Dull grey and with a fine porous texture. It is ALMOST metal but it is not.

So the window tells us it is not free metallic iron. The streak tells us it is hematite. And the fact it attracts a magnet means it has particles of magnetite distributed in the matrix.

I have chunks of hematite that will lock up to a neo magnet so hard you can barely pull them apart. But the specimens are hematite. Not magnetite.

3 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Some hematite specimens are magnetic. You said it streaked brown. That is indicative of hematite. Not magnetite. 

Regardless of the classification of your rock it is clearly not metallic. It is an sub metallic mineral. Meteorites contain free metal. Not mineral metal. 

Free metallic iron is just like knife steel. Bright and silver shiny. 

Terrestrial iron is Mineral. Mineral iron is sub metallic. Dull grey and with a fine porous texture. It is ALMOST metal but it is not.

So the window tells us it is not free metallic iron. The streak tells us it is hematite. And the fact it attracts a magnet means it has particles of magnetite distributed in the matrix.

I have chunks of hematite that will lock up to a neo magnet so hard you can barely pull them apart. But the specimens are hematite. Not magnetite.

That's a lot of good information- thank you. 

I had a local rock shop look at it today and they said its hematite.

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, allquieton said:

That's a lot of good information- thank you. 

I had a local rock shop look at it today and they said its hematite.

Also a quick question:  in the photo below i'm seeing crisscrossing lines. Is this crystal formation? or what is it? or am i seeing things?  just curious. 

https://imgur.com/gallery/6asZmv8