Nugget Shooter Forums

What dinosaur this bone belongs for?

Mardli

Does it leave a streak on the back of a toilet tank lid? Bone is soft and should leave residue.  If it is fossilized into silica, it should not...just guessing here.

May be there is a local college/univ archeology dept that could id it... or an archeology forum on the WWW.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, clay said:

Looks like a young pig humerus. They sell them as dog treats. It appears to be already chewed since most of the head and tuberosity is missing.

Not sure why you would think it's a dinosaur?

This is a raptor toe bone found on the internet. It looks similar enough to think it's a dinosaur bone. But after seeing pig humerus i think you're right. Thank you for this identification you made. Now i'm left with a pig bone and broken dreams:aw-shucks:(Just kidding the truth is the best gift):rolleyes:

12788-2.jpg

• Like 1

Sorry to say, but that is not a Dino bone.  It belongs to a mammal of some sort; most likely a cow or horse.  Not a very old bone either.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Mardli said:

This is a raptor toe bone found on the internet. It looks similar enough to think it's a dinosaur bone. But after seeing pig humerus i think you're right. Thank you for this identification you made. Now i'm left with a pig bone and broken dreams:aw-shucks:(Just kidding the truth is the best gift):rolleyes:

12788-2.jpg

I see the resemblance. I can see why you thought they were the same.

Even so raptors are not dinosaurs. A raptor is a modern bird of prey.

The dinosaur "Raptor" is a non-scientific, term made up for the Jurassic Park movie franchise. The name "raptor" was derived from shortening the genus name Velociraptor, while the dinosaurs portrayed in the movie were actually modeled after Deinonychus and what is now named the Utahraptor.

(thanks go to Michael Trcic) :4chsmu1:

Edited by clay
  • Thanks 1