Nugget Shooter Forums

Need two positive ID's please!

So recent finds at a thrift store.

A jasper stromatolite kamba slab. (or so I think) And it was wasted and made into a silly christmas tree. What throws me off is it doesnt have any circles like stromatolite structures would. Although there are the right colors and a little swirliness

And a very large quartz crystal (or so I think). Clearly much damage to the point itself which is why I cant say forsure it is quartz. I originally thought it could be halite but then it wouldnt have points. The only test i can think of is that it scratched glass easily.

Thanks all for any help.

jasper1.jpg

jasper2.jpg

jasper3.jpg

jasper4.jpg

quartz1.jpg

quartz2.jpg

quartz3.jpg

quartz4.jpg

51 minutes ago, Haderly said:

I would not wager a guess on the first one without a close up picture in nature light. The second one is a quartz crystal. 

Okay I will take one tomorrow during the daylight :). Any guesses on what it could be be compared instead of jasper stromato if not? (even if no picture)

Thanks for the pos id on the quartz

Edited by Flaak

could be a serpentine if you can scratch it with a knife. It does not look like any stromatolite that I am familiar with and certainly not like the kambaba that I have. 

Second is certainly quartz. I’d wager the first is serpentine. It does not have the appearance of a stromatolite. 

18 hours ago, Haderly said:

could be a serpentine if you can scratch it with a knife. It does not look like any stromatolite that I am familiar with and certainly not like the kambaba that I have. 

18 hours ago, d_day said:

Second is certainly quartz. I’d wager the first is serpentine. It does not have the appearance of a stromatolite. 

It seems dark for serpentine but its definitely a good suspect to the list. Here is a close up picture .

Let me know if they're fine

23342.jpg

123213.jpg

A few notes on Kambaba “jasper.” It’s not actually a jasper, nor is it a stromatolite. It’s actually rhyolite. 

I also just remembered there is a very similar looking stone to what you have there. It was being sold by a few of the vendors at Quartzsite a few years ago. I think they were calling it dragon stone, but I don’t remember for certain. It was quite soft. 

"Rhyolite is a rock (a silica rich volcanic rock) It can be a lava flow, volcanic ash or an obsidian that has devitrified (glass broken down into minerals). When it gets silicified, it can be termed a jasper - focusing on a term that makes it salable, or "ocean jasper" or some other glitzy term put on it by retailers"

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, BMc said:

"Rhyolite is a rock (a silica rich volcanic rock) It can be a lava flow, volcanic ash or an obsidian that has devitrified (glass broken down into minerals). When it gets silicified, it can be termed a jasper - focusing on a term that makes it salable, or "ocean jasper" or some other glitzy term put on it by retailers"

I have always used the term "rhyolite" as any light colored volcanic. Basalt as any dark volcanic

Jasper as a cryptocrystalline sub class of rhyolite.

And then there is the rhyolite that is macrocrystalline and fused. Im not sure of the term. It is high silica fused rhyolite with a coarser crystal structure than jasper. It polishes well but it is not as hard and tough as jasper. 

I have always just called it "rhyolite" for lack of a more specific term. But that is also the term for rocks that vary pretty widely in appearance.

I don't think I have ever seen a deep green rhyolite before. If I have I did not realize it was rhyolite.

Pic represent what I used to call Rhyolite.  I know for a fact that it is a Rhyolite, and that it has small garnets embedded in it. But I now know that what I have been calling Rhyolite is not exclusive of the term nor of the color.  

RHYOLITE.PNG

• Like 1