Nugget Shooter Forums

• RaisingArizona changed the title to Hello, from White Tank Mountain

If you’re around the White tank mountains, there’s a little bit of mining history to that area.  Not much of it is written down and its hard to locate, but there’s a couple of old copper mines, not sure how big, could have been a one person operation, or a small pit, I’ve never looked but seen it on a map, a few manganese dig sites, and supposedly some old small gold sites around Aguilla.  There’s rumors of a gold placer somewhere on the mountain, but not sure I believe that one.

THe historical USGS maps available on line give locations of these mines, and a minedat search shows some data.

• Like 1

Wow I really appreciate that information. I have been riding on the very west side & have come across a vertical mine (uncovered or fenced) that went straight down about 100ft or more. I haven't been able to locate the mine since I first saw it. There was gold from when they first mined it but I believe it wasn't profitable, less than 1 oz per 8 ton or something of that nature. I could be wrong. I do believe there are some forgotten & abandon mines there. I have been far into the mountain washes & I do see black sand but I'm not experienced enough to really indicate & hunt specific areas. 

The mountain is supposed to be pre-cambrian granite, which could be good, but I've mostly been to the waterfall trail there and not seen much interesting for geology of gold.  Not a lot of the brown mineralization that's supposed to be good around here.  That's one small part of it, and I have not made it to the mines I've found on the maps, and I have not looked for this mythical placer.

That 100' shaft you mentioned, I would be surprised if that is not on one of the earlier USGS maps.  There latest editions do not include mines.  Luckily their maps are available for free download on the USGS site.

You can always bring some of that sand home and pan it.  I used to have a small dry washer I'd take and run a bucket and take the cons home and pan it.  Never foudn a lot of interest with that, but that's a good method.

11 hours ago, chrisski said:

The mountain is supposed to be pre-cambrian granite, which could be good, but I've mostly been to the waterfall trail there and not seen much interesting for geology of gold.  Not a lot of the brown mineralization that's supposed to be good around here.  That's one small part of it, and I have not made it to the mines I've found on the maps, and I have not looked for this mythical placer.

That 100' shaft you mentioned, I would be surprised if that is not on one of the earlier USGS maps.  There latest editions do not include mines.  Luckily their maps are available for free download on the USGS site.

You can always bring some of that sand home and pan it.  I used to have a small dry washer I'd take and run a bucket and take the cons home and pan it.  Never foudn a lot of interest with that, but that's a good method.

Yes, I did take a bucket back with me to sample it & no good result but perhaps I took from the wrong spot. The mine I referred to is on the west side close to the center of mountain near the base.