Nugget Shooter Forums

Selling specimens, best online place to sell

Any suggesting for best place to offer specimen gold for sale? Doesn't seem to generate much interest on this site. I have some specimens headed for the dolly pot if I don't sell them as specimens. Hate to crush up rare crystalline gold specimens if there is a market for them.

20200913_130801.jpg

Edited by GeoJack
  • Like 3
  • GeoJack changed the title to Selling specimens, best online place to sell

I definitely wouldn't crush them. Be patient.

Have you thought about selling at a local rock and gem show? Also, I would consider removing some if not most of the quartz with hfl acid to expose more gold. Aesthetics matter....

• Like 1

Morlock, SO won't allow me to have HF, old source of this service no longer does the process. We have been to several large gold / gem shows. Very limited amount of people purchase specimen gold over placer nuggets. Most don't know what they are looking at. Will check with local supplier to see if I can pick up a jug without the wife knowing about it.

22 minutes ago, GeoJack said:

Morlock, SO won't allow me to have HF, old source of this service no longer does the process. We have been to several large gold / gem shows. Very limited amount of people purchase specimen gold over placer nuggets. Most don't know what they are looking at. Will check with local supplier to see if I can pick up a jug without the wife knowing about it.

You can use Whink instead which contains diluted hfl acid but takes a very long time to get the results you probably want. But very safe to use.

• Like 4

Maybe try the ebay thing?  Some of the delicate type specie doesn't acid well and just turns into a mess of small pieces.  Ive seen that happen to a few of my friends. 

Everyone talks about gold ore being worth more than specie. I guess there are some folks that have bought/sold ore for more than the value of specie but I don't think there is actually a market. It is more of an individual thing.

I market my larger chunks and ore to individuals. It is time consuming and laborious. I think that is about the only way you are going to get more for raw ore than the daily spot price for specie. 

3 hours ago, Morlock said:

You can use Whink instead which contains diluted hfl acid but takes a very long time to get the results you probably want. But very safe to use.

I use Acid Etch for glass which has a higher content of HF. Still takes a week to 10 days to see some results.

2 hours ago, wes said:

Maybe try the ebay thing?  Some of the delicate type specie doesn't acid well and just turns into a mess of small pieces.  Ive seen that happen to a few of my friends. 

Yep, I check the specimen for continuity first.

1 hour ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Everyone talks about gold ore being worth more than specie. I guess there are some folks that have bought/sold ore for more than the value of specie but I don't think there is actually a market. It is more of an individual thing.

I market my larger chunks and ore to individuals. It is time consuming and laborious. I think that is about the only way you are going to get more for raw ore than the daily spot price for specie. 

Bob, I agree. My experience is that the market is very small compared to placer nugget collectors. That is why I am attempting to dig into a better marketplace for these pieces. I've sold many larger pieces like you prior to any processing.

Back in the days when dinosaurs ruled the earth there was a good market for smaller pieces of ore. Lots of guys were buying detectors and spending lots of time in the field. They all made good money and wanted a piece of ore. Now days it is different. It is not a popular hobby any more and prospectors dont have a lot of spending money. 

I hope you can find a buyer to give you what you want for them. 

After I sold my gold back in 2009 it cured my gold fever. I have been out and found some gold since but I never was as driven to look for it. It is just a cool thing I used to do now. I think about going out sometimes but I usually just go fishing or rockhounding. 

Good luck on selling the ore. They are cool pieces. Everyone should have a rock studded with gold. It is a rare sight.

• Like 2
  • 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, GeoJack said:

A couple of weeks soaking in Acid Etch Cream.

20200927_090352.jpg

Turned out great!!! That's well worth the time. Hope you can get a good price for them.

Posted (edited)

Thanks Morlock. Using wax to protect sections of the quartz I want to keep native. Learning as I go. Works good to freeze the specimen when done to remove the wax easier.

The middle specimen had the whole back of the rock coated as the one side had the contact zone of au.

Chalcedony was found around the Sawtooth area in NV.

If I don't find a buyer I'll do what I've done in the past and make something for the wife.

Edited by GeoJack