Jump to content
Nugget Shooter Forums

Dave's Bug


Sonoran Dave

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, GeoJack said:

Dave, where did you route the intake and exhaust for the heater? Thanks.

Rick

Thanks. Seeing yours done was a big instigator to finally acquiring one myself.

I'll post a pic when I hook it all up. I'm basically going to route it over to the driver's side wheel well. The mount I made for the heater elevates it above the metal apron so there is enough room to make the bend in the exhaust tubing. I'll also add some heat shielding to it...just in case.

I'm thinking of building a 1915 for this one too. I am hoping that will be plenty of power. The 1600 still runs, so it is something I can do over the course of the winter.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Did all my modifications to my front beam and got it installed. Sits a bit higher than expected. I may have miscalculated the orientation of the adjusters I welded in. I may have to take the beam back off and cut those adjusters free and weld them back in at slightly less angle.

I did some beefing up of the beam while I had it out of the car. I also drove sections of the old sway bar into the each tie rod to strengthen them.

It is starting to look good though. :)

20201029_164530.jpg

20201021_123512.jpg

20201029_123208.jpg

20201029_093416.jpg

20201029_164428.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"Sits a bit higher than expected. I may have miscalculated the orientation of the adjusters I welded in. I may have to take the beam back off and cut those adjusters free and weld them back in at slightly less angle."

......... does  the height issue  have bearing on  the caster?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

"Sits a bit higher than expected. I may have miscalculated the orientation of the adjusters I welded in. I may have to take the beam back off and cut those adjusters free and weld them back in at slightly less angle."

......... does  the height issue  have bearing on  the caster?

Not really. The arms cycle through the same geometry as stock. I just "pre adjusted"  the adjusters a little much when welding them in. I want it to ride nice...not like a truck. The adjusters control the spring preload is all. :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...

Figured I should update this thread and not leave it hanging.

The car is up and running! I have some nickle and dime crap left to do, but it has carried me to work for the last two weekends. :)

Aside from a few mechanical things, I still have to build the roof rack and spare tire carrier...and maybe some nerf bars too.

It will be back to the airplane project now that this winding down.

 

20210128_074001.jpg

20210128_074031.jpg

20210128_073909.jpg

20210127_170548.jpg

20210128_073938.jpg

  • Like 1
  • well done 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Sonoran Dave said:

Figured I should update this thread and not leave it hanging.

The car is up and running! I have some nickle and dime crap left to do, but it has carried me to work for the last two weekends. :)

Aside from a few mechanical things, I still have to build the roof rack and spare tire carrier...and maybe some nerf bars too.

It will be back to the airplane project now that this winding down.

 

20210128_074001.jpg

20210128_074031.jpg

20210128_073909.jpg

20210127_170548.jpg

20210128_073938.jpg

I see it's powered by a flux capacitor.😏😏 Very nice.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
Posted (edited)

Dave, I located some used Thule cross bars and brackets. A bit pricey new.

Found the inexpensive rack online. $89 if I remember correctly and they shorted me one bolt for the tiedowns and gave me about $40 credit. 

Need to seal the cross tubes as they are only tack welded and water weeps inside. You get a nice rust waterfall pattern on the side of the car when you get up to freeway speed and the vortex pull the water out. lol

20190802_115837.jpg

By the way, looking killer on the build. Very nice.

 

Edited by GeoJack
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)
On 6/5/2021 at 4:31 PM, GeoJack said:

Dave, I located some used Thule cross bars and brackets. A bit pricey new.

Found the inexpensive rack online. $89 if I remember correctly and they shorted me one bolt for the tiedowns and gave me about $40 credit. 

Need to seal the cross tubes as they are only tack welded and water weeps inside. You get a nice rust waterfall pattern on the side of the car when you get up to freeway speed and the vortex pull the water out. lol

20190802_115837.jpg

By the way, looking killer on the build. Very nice.

 

That looks good man! Thank you and I had wish I had gone that route as making a custom one was a PITA.

20210513_081604.jpg

Edited by Sonoran Dave
forgot text or it disappeared on it's own
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Sonoran Dave said:

That looks good man! Thank you and I had wish I had gone that route as making a custom one was a PITA.

20210513_081604.jpg

You know you enjoyed every minute of making it. :) Dont give me this PITA stuff. :)
Tom H.

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, TomH said:

You know you enjoyed every minute of making it. :) Dont give me this PITA stuff. :)
Tom H.

 

Well...maybe a little.:brows:

It was a PITA though. Building square stuff on a round car makes for abundant hair pulling. I'm starting to run out of hair to pull. I'll be screwed then.

  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...