Nugget Shooter Forums

محمد,

Welcome to the forum. The bad news is that your rock has no characteristics of a meteorite, but all the characteristics of a terrestrial rock.

Take a look at your suspected rock(s). If it glistens like a crystal structure (ie: quartz) at any point in the rock, it can’t be a meteorite. If it has layers, it can’t be a meteorite. It’s sedimentary. If it has small gas bubbles (vesticles) in it. It is not a meteorite, but basaltic or sedimentary. If it is moderately magnetic it is NOT a meteorite. If there is a thick crust on it, it can’t be a meteorite. If it has very rough surfaces or is angular, except for breakage, it is not a meteorite. If it is heavy, but not much heavier than other similar sized rocks, it can't a meteorite. File off a corner or cut it. It won’t diminish its value. If there is all bright silvery metal it can’t be a meteorite. If it is all grey metal it can’t be a meteorite. If there is black crust as thin as a fingernail, and crazing on the outside of the rock, it might be a meteorite. If there are small silver specks visible in the filed off section, it might be meteorite.

A simple test for your rock is to take the top off a toilet tank and make a hard streak with it on the unpolished porcelain underside.  If the streak is dark red or gray it is magnetite or hematite and is not a meteorite.

There are billions of magnetic rocks to be found in every type of land, none of which are meteorites. Anyone can find magnetic earth stones nearly everywhere. Approximately 4% of all rocks are moderately magnetic terrestrial rocks. Just take a strong magnet and drop into sand and you will see what I mean. Check our O Richard Norton’s, “Rocks from Space” or view a recognized meteorite collection.

Keep looking down, they'er out there.

billpeters

• Like 1

What are you guys talking about? That is obviously a meteorite!

Mohamed, you have found a very rare and valuable meteorite. Probably an L8. Maybe an L9. It looks like a carbonific chondroid from the lunar surface! It could even be a new classification science has never seen.

You need to take this specimen to an expert and have them look at it. These guys are just jealous that you have found such a stone. A scientist is the only person that can know the importance of such a spectacular find.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Bob, your sarcasm is going to be lost on new comers (especially ESL persons), they might think you are serious.

Edit - ESL = English as a Second Language

Edited by Mikestang
  • Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, Mikestang said:

Bob, your sarcasm is going to be lost on new comers (especially ESL persons), they might think you are serious.

Edit - ESL = English as a Second Language

This isn't sarcasm Mike. It is a blatant attempt to misinform. Im fanning the flames of imagination in hopes of an even greater emotional reaction later on down the line.

Rather than the "it's not a meteorite" game that we usually play I'm trying a new twist. I'm playing the "Holy Sh!t That's A Meteorite!" game.

I figure a change of pace will be nice. And my hapless victims will love me. It's a win/win situation.

• Like 1
23 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

This isn't sarcasm Mike. It is a blatant attempt to misinform. Im fanning the flames of imagination in hopes of an even greater emotional reaction later on down the line.

Rather than the "it's not a meteorite" game that we usually play I'm trying a new twist. I'm playing the "Holy Sh!t That's A Meteorite!" game.

I figure a change of pace will be nice. And my hapless victims will love me. It's a win/win situation.

Bob, 

It's no only misinforming, but, disinforming, and ridiculous.

• Like 4