Nugget Shooter Forums

Please help identify this mysterious mineral/metal/meteorite?

Hello, so I found three strange rocks on a dirt road half buried in the dirt, their metallic luster caught my eye immediately. I smashed one of them open with a hammer and it revealed a bright silver color and a beautiful crystalline pattern that reminds me of the pattern of iron-nickel meteorites. It's not attracted by a magnet and does not produce sparks when I grind it on the bench grinder.

It is softer than steel I can file it and cut it with a hacksaw it's no easy but doable. I tried to heat and forge one of the small pieces heating it to a bright orange heat but it shattered with the first hammer blow. Its melting point is definitely above 1081 degrees C, as the copper wire I had it wrapped in melted off but the rock did not, it also appears to lose heat quicker than steel. I submerged it in muriatic acid overnight but it did nothing to it no reaction whatsoever.

I polished one of the pieces on a buffing wheel so the pattern is easier to see. 

Is it a mineral,a piece of slag, a meteorite perhaps? 

All the photos are in the link below.

Thank you very much for your attention! 

Nick

https://ibb.co/album/X7Thmc

A very interesting sample.  It is not a meteorite and not ore.  I think it is a partial refined metal of some sort.  Maybe a tungsten or manganese alloy?  What sort of streak does it produce and how hard on the mohs hardness scale is it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4meter said:

A very interesting sample.  It is not a meteorite and not ore.  I think it is a partial refined metal of some sort.  Maybe a tungsten or manganese alloy?  What sort of streak does it produce and how hard on the mohs hardness scale is it?

I do not have an accurate and definitive way to tell but I assume the hardness is below 6.5 because I can file it with a steel file and cut it with a hacksaw blade, it produces a very fine dust when filed. The streak appears to be a dark gray color, it also scratches the tile easily and deeply.