Nugget Shooter Forums

Judging from his (I hope it is a male) online name, the pan is somewhere in a dark basement. Dinner is ready and mom is calling. LOL.

Sorry, contempt for bad screen names.

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

Those are rocks in a gold pan! I have seen a lot of this kind of thing and I can definitely say that is what you have there.

Get your eyes checked Bob! That’s a coffee can!

• Like 2

Those look like they came off my front yard.  If you could get that rock by the ton, it my be worth as much as $50 per ton delivered to a house.  A ton of dirt is 35 five gallon buckets, rocks are probably a few buckets less than that.

Well... it's actually in a coffee can.  We had property in California along the motherlode vein. I found out in my grandpa's warehouse.   If he saved a coffee can full of it I figure it's gotta be more special than just lava rock.  And a close look you can see quartz crystals in it.  Anyway I was checking it out and I crushed some up and was looking at it and decided to Google its description just to see what it might suggest.  Well kind of like googling an odd bump in your neck and finding out your gonna die for sure; the closest thing I could find to what I got in the can is cinnabar.  The most toxic element known to man.  So I kinda said... oh crap and thought I'd post a couple photos to see if anyone would identify it as cinnabar.  I feel a little better that no one has but still wondering

3 hours ago, Butnugget123 said:

Well... it's actually in a coffee can.  We had property in California along the motherlode vein. I found out in my grandpa's warehouse.   If he saved a coffee can full of it I figure it's gotta be more special than just lava rock.  And a close look you can see quartz crystals in it.  Anyway I was checking it out and I crushed some up and was looking at it and decided to Google its description just to see what it might suggest.  Well kind of like googling an odd bump in your neck and finding out your gonna die for sure; the closest thing I could find to what I got in the can is cinnabar.  The most toxic element known to man.  So I kinda said... oh crap and thought I'd post a couple photos to see if anyone would identify it as cinnabar.  I feel a little better that no one has but still wondering

I see nothing that indicates the presence of cinnabar. A lot of rocks can have a reddish tinge but that doesn't mean it's cinnabar.

The most toxic element known to man is plutonium.

Cinnabar isn't an element Butnugget. It is a mineral. Mercury is an element that is found in cinnabar.

Rocks and minerals are identified by physical characteristics like hardness, fracture, specific gravity, streak and such. So in order to identify your rocks it takes a bit more effort than "what is it?".

If you really want to know what grandpa saw in those rocks then you are going to have to take the simple basic steps of mineral identification. 

Google it. Like the odd bump on your neck. Do the simple observations and get back to us.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Morlock said:

I see nothing that indicates the presence of cinnabar.

I think  it would tend more towards a blood red hue, wouldn't it?

Looks like rhyolite lava at quick glance.

Maybe a local jeweler or rock shop can XRF test  it for an elemental breakdown.

Unfortunately, identifying rocks through photos alone is extremely difficult. There are times where a proper ID is obvious, but that’s extremely rare. 

that being said, it may well be rhyolite as was suggested earlier. it almost looks like the stuff they give you for fire pits or propane barbecues. 

• Like 1