Nugget Shooter Forums

Obama and Biden never supported the Pebble Mine Project. In fact, Obama was a disaster for mining as well as manufacturing.
Nobody really knows what to expect from Biden because he has been in his basement for months.
Being from San Francisco, I have to believe that Harris would turn the US into another California. 

38 minutes ago, Dakota Slim said:

Obama and Biden never supported the Pebble Mine Project. In fact, Obama was a disaster for mining as well as manufacturing.
Nobody really knows what to expect from Biden because he has been in his basement for months.
Being from San Francisco, I have to believe that Harris would turn the US into another California. 

If I had to bet, I'd say that the previous administration didn't support the mine project because the salmon fishery will continue to be valuable long after all those minerals are mined out.  But that's just my opinion.

I was Googling for 'answers' about how "Obama was a disaster for mining", but everything I found was about coal.  Supposedly, Obama killed coal.  Actually, the market killed coal.  Read this article for the details.  Make sure you read to the end where the facts are laid out.

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2017/4/28/15465348/obama-trump-regulations-coal

Then I found another article where the people who claimed to be for the coal miners, voted against help for the coal miners.  Which really isn't surprising.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/03/the-obama-administration-idea-to-save-coal-country-214885

I wasn't able to help you make your point, Slim. :idunno:  Perhaps you could provide some evidence of your claims?

Then I remembered reading this article about how the United States oil production was at an all time high during the Obama years....

https://www.forbes.com/sites/judeclemente/2020/12/31/president-obamas-support-for-americas-shale-oil-and-natural-gas/#52dcc7ba1883

As far as ByeDon and Harris, we'll have to wait and see.  It's just my opinion but I think they'll do whatever it takes to create good jobs that don't excessively harm the environment.  Biden has far more experience than the incumbent, especially when it comes to fixing ruined economies.

I'm pretty sure we could have productive, profitable mining and protect the environment at the same time.  But the political theater will have to come to an end first.

I'd love to see some stats on your above claims, Slim.  :)  Take care.

Luke

• Like 1
  • Hmmmmmm 1
2 hours ago, Dakota Slim said:

Obama was a disaster for mining as well as manufacturing.

While I wait for clarification of your facts, I did some more Googling.

I remember clearly how the economy was doing before Obama got elected.  That was during the time I closed my business and sold what few assets I had, to pay off the debts.  So I know manufacturing was in decline at that time.  But since the economy steadily recovered over the next 8 years, I had to look into the discrepancy you stated.

Guess what?  I found it !!  https://www.macrotrends.net/countries/USA/united-states/manufacturing-output

I can't help but wonder how that graph will look next year when we can clearly look back on 2020.

:pop:

Well, as Skip said in the other thread, "Slim, Bob as of yet hasn't stepped outside of the guidelines of this forum section...but you calling Bob out for posting this topic in this section is out of bounds, you should be posting facts about the subject matter and stop posting anything directed towards the member who started the topic!"

:pop:

In any case, here is an article which states "From Day 1 of his administration, President Trump vowed to repeal President Barack Obama’s “Waters of the United States” regulation, which had frustrated rural landowners. His new rule, which will be implemented in about 60 days, is the latest step in the Trump administration’s push to repeal or weaken nearly 100 environmental rules and laws, loosening or eliminating rules on climate change, clean air, chemical pollution, coal mining, oil drilling and endangered species protections."

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/22/climate/trump-environment-water.html

Also see...
https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/climate/trump-environment-rollbacks.html?

40 minutes ago, Dakota Slim said:

Here's some more on Biden & Harris' Green New Deal...

https://www.congress.gov/116/bills/hres109/BILLS-116hres109ih.pdf

What does this have to do with Biden or Harris? 

He didn't write it. He didn't endorse it. His name is not on it anywhere. Biden and Harris have supported elements of the resolution but do not include the overall idea in their platform. The Democratic House Leadership has not endorsed it either.

This is a product of a group of progressive representatives. It is not a product of the Democratic party nor is it endorsed by a majority of Democrats. It is not a law. It is not a bill. It is nothing but a resolution.

Please tell us how the Biden campaign or Joe Biden is connected with this resolution in any way. While you are at it tell us what this has to do with land use restrictions or miners rights issues.

25 minutes ago, Dakota Slim said:

Well, as Skip said in the other thread, "Slim, Bob as of yet hasn't stepped outside of the guidelines of this forum section...but you calling Bob out for posting this topic in this section is out of bounds, you should be posting facts about the subject matter and stop posting anything directed towards the member who started the topic!"

Yes, I noticed you had to be reprimanded in that situation.

Since I've made the only response to your assertions, it's tough to not make it seem like I was only addressing you, Slim.  While I did use your name, it was because I was hoping you'd be able to enlighten me.  Still waiting....   :pop:     My request stands for anyone who can provide information backing up what Slim has claimed.

I also posted the facts as I understand them.  To which, you have no response, other than trying to change the subject.

As far as 'The New Green Deal'....  I'm not sure of the connection to Biden/Harris other than they are Democrats and the bill was sponsored by other Democrats.  The 'old New Deal' was a great success in helping to lift America after the Great Depression.  Maybe something along these lines are needed right about now?

I finally had the chance to do a little research on Kamala Harris and gold mining. Joe Biden has said he will only serve one term if elected and many people think he won't last that long, so Harris' views and actions regarding mining should be a very important consideration to those of us who like to have access to public lands and the ability to mine -- whether it be large operations or small. 
I found an article titled Senators Call for Hearing on Hardrock Mining and Reclamation Act in which "Senators Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), Tom Udall (D-N.M.), Martin Heinrich (D-N.M.), Michael Bennet (D-Colo.), Ron Wyden (D-Ore.), Jeffrey Merkley (D-Ore.), Kamala Harris (D-Calif.), Cory Booker (D-N.J.) and Edward Markey (D-Mass.) wrote to the Energy and Natural Resources Committee leadership requesting a hearing on the Hardrock Mining and Reclamation Act to provide a forum for states, environmental groups, and industry to discuss mining reform.

"The bill requires companies to pay royalties for the first time for the ability to extract mineral resources like gold, silver, and copper from public lands..."

Read on! https://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/index.cfm/press-releases?ID=E0A06230-3193-419F-85C1-EBA20D0059C0

• Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...