Nugget Shooter Forums

Picked this up at a thrift store but its so hard with these green minerals

Jadeite, amazonite, beryl(doubtful), phenrite, serpentine ect.

My guess is either phenrite or jadeite but jadeite is usually one solid color. Help is appreciated. Thanks.

1.jpg

22222.jpg

Green calcite from Mexico. This material is often mistakenly called onyx, but onyx is a type of agate with alternating black and white layers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
20 hours ago, d_day said:

No problem. Just glad it was an easy one. Most stuff is outer hard to id from photos alone.

Hey can i bother you for another? I was lucky enough to find another mineral carving! I hopefully wont have to bother this forum so much but this ones also tough.

really appreciate it! and i will try to get into the forums more, you guys are great!

2222.jpg

1111111.jpg

3333333.jpg

It looks a lot like sheen obsidian. But I honestly have no idea if it is. I see a scratch on the side and obsidian would not scratch like that. 

It could be bassinite. It is a popular carving medium and it is black. I have never seem bassinite with inclusions like that. And bassinite is usually a dull grey black.

Are you sure it is a mineral and not something man made?

3 minutes ago, Bedrock Bob said:

It looks a lot like sheen obsidian. But I honestly have no idea if it is. I see a scratch on the side and obsidian would not scratch like that. 

It could be bassinite. It is a popular carving medium and it is black. I have never seem bassinite with inclusions like that. And bassinite is usually a dull grey black.

Are you sure it is a mineral and not something man made?

No, could be anything..but my guess is mineral. Could it be dark black solid glass? Well that technically would be obsidian. Lol. I see what you are saying, obsidian would chip instead. Hmm , tough one. hopefully a giveaway is the feint grey sparkle or streaks.

Just now, Flaak said:

No, could be anything..but my guess is mineral. Could it be dark black solid glass? Well that technically would be obsidian. Lol. I see what you are saying, obsidian would chip instead. Hmm , tough one. hopefully a giveaway is the feint grey sparkle or streaks.

Oh yeah it definitely looks like sheen obsidian..let me grab some more pics of the chippings.

2222.jpg

53454.jpg

2132514.jpg

3333333.jpg

5233432.jpg

12321321.jpg

34346634.jpg

It sure looks like sheen obsidian. Without knowing hardness or specific gravity it might be impossible to tell.

Obsidian is light stuff compared to other like minerals. So if it seems light for its size that is probably the answer.