Nugget Shooter Forums

Hey guys, just wanted to share with you all my sons first archery deer. It opened on August 10th but with both of our work schedules being different, we couldn't all go until this past Saturday the 15th. Long story short, we camped for 5 days and he was able to get in on this guy the 4th day. 8 hours of stalking in on him in 100 degree temps. Got into 12 yards and stuck him. My little guy and i were watching through the spotting scopes from across the canyon when he made the shot. It definitely tops any deer i have shot with my bow or a rifle haha. 1 deer in the freezer and now i can chase mine. Then back to detecting before my daughters deer season in October. Take care everyone. 

IMG_1033.jpg

IMG_1043.jpg

IMG951089.jpg

IMG_1093.jpg

• Like 2
  • well done 6

Thanks Beeper, definitely a lot more sneakyness required haha.

• Like 2

:goodpost:   You're raising a fine young man there.  Nice work.

Congratulations to you and your son.  :thumbsupanim

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well thank you very much Luke!! That means a lot. 

• Like 1

Yes he did lol. Very long day.

That is a nice tall rack on that buck. I see a lot of those Nevada bucks that have tall racks.

Ours are generally wider than tall. They look different depending on the area you hunt around here. Some areas have really heavy thick racks with not many points. Other areas have lots of points but small racks. The same with body size. Some spots the deer are all pretty big and some not so much. And the racks often don't match the body. But those tall, narrow bucks are pretty rare.

That is a real accomplishment. It is tough to get 12 yards from a deer like that unless you give it all you have got. Most fellows just couldn't pull it off.

His knees don't look too skinned up. He must have had some knee pads on for that stalk!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Actually not much crawling at all Bob. All rimrock with tall buck brush stands and lots of big bitter brush. So many outcroppings that they bed under, most of the time you are shooting down on them. Really fun hunt for sure. I was stalking a 3 point this morning. Got 27 yards to the doe that he was with but he just disappeared. Hit it again this afternoon i guess.

• Like 1

In the open desert here you learn to walk on all fours. My toddler stalked Oryx for four days from daylight to dark. He must have tried an approach on six or seven animals. We had to rip up some seat cushions and stuff them in his pant legs. His knees had thorns embedded in them for weeks. 

I'm getting interested in stalking coues desert whitetail deer. If you and your son want to come down to the Mimbres and show us how it is done you would be welcomed. 

Good luck in that sweet territory with those big tall racked deer. I hope you stick a big furry one sitting under one of those outcrops!

• Like 1

Unfortunately Bob, i dont think we could learn you guys very much. You have a lot of bushes there that like to grab, stab, poke and cut whatever comes within 3 feet of them. You would spend more time cutting us free and cleaning our wounds than you would be hunting. We would look like total ametures down there haha. All we have to worry about is stepping on the occasional tiny little cactus with just our socks on here. But oh how i would love to hunt the elusive Coues deer. Thats a bucket list critter for us for sure.

The pictures show what kind of terrain we hunt in. Cameron is in the first one across the canyon starting his stalk on the buck. The other one has a decent 4x4 in it bedded under the outcropping. The heatwaves really messed with the phoneskope. 

20200821_161135.jpg

20200810_073803.jpg

• Like 2

It looks just like the country we hunt. I bet there is not a whole lot of difference actually. 

The photos are sweet. Was that taken through your spotting scope?

My favorite spot takes in everything from sub alpine forest to open desert. You go from 9000 feet to 5000 feet in just a few miles. But the pinon juniper scrub just above the high desert is where those whitetail like to roost. I have never shot one. I have only seen a few. Usually just a fleeting glimpse. They are tough to sneak up on. I'm not sure I could get close enough to a nice buck to shoot it. If I did it would take a whole lot of luck. 

You could do a sweet public land hunt here for cheap. If you ever want to do that I'd be happy to put you right in the middle of them. Im sure your son could sneak across the canyon and get him a shot. We could watch and take pictures in the spotting scope.

• Thanks 1

That sounds like a great time Bob! We just might have to try that. Its always cool going and seeing new country and trying to hunt new critters. Yeah those were through the spotting scope. The phoneskope adapter is pretty sweet! He was almost a mile away in that picture of him waiting on the outcropping.

• well done 1

Nice story and pics Dan.  I was able to spot the buck bedded before I zoomed-in.  Like I told you when you got-em... good job guys.:thumbsupanim 

Going to go drown a night crawler at Southfork tomorrow.  See if I can't break in my new pole with a fish-er-two.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 8/21/2020 at 12:38 PM, nugget108 said:

Actually not much crawling at all Bob. All rimrock with tall buck brush stands and lots of big bitter brush. So many outcroppings that they bed under, most of the time you are shooting down on them. Really fun hunt for sure. I was stalking a 3 point this morning. Got 27 yards to the doe that he was with but he just disappeared. Hit it again this afternoon i guess.

It's amazing how bucks can disappear like that. I've only hunted whitetails and about the only time they make mistakes is in the rut. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Dakota Slim said:

It's amazing how bucks can disappear like that. I've only hunted whitetails and about the only time they make mistakes is in the rut. 

Yeah thats for sure Slim! They can sneak right out from under ya. The rut definitely makes them goofy!

2 hours ago, NvAuMiner said:

Nice story and pics Dan.  I was able to spot the buck bedded before I zoomed-in.  Like I told you when you got-em... good job guys.:thumbsupanim 

Going to go drown a night crawler at Southfork tomorrow.  See if I can't break in my new pole with a fish-er-two.

Oh really? Dang dude, if i wasn't deer hunting i would meet up with ya. I only have this weekend and next weekend left. Next weekend my folks are coming up for Labor day so ill have my dad to go if i dont get lucky this weekend. The largemouth are biting like crazy at Southfork. If you fish for them, throw a 4 inch plastic worm without the weight and drag it across the top of the weed beds slow. Hammering the heck out of them that way right now. Good luck with the new pole and send me pics!!

Here he is back from the taxidermist. 

IMG_1119.jpg

• Like 7
22 minutes ago, nugget108 said:

Oh really? Dang dude, if i wasn't deer hunting i would meet up with ya. I only have this weekend and next weekend left. Next weekend my folks are coming up for Labor day so ill have my dad to go if i dont get lucky this weekend. The largemouth are biting like crazy at Southfork. If you fish for them, throw a 4 inch plastic worm without the weight and drag it across the top of the weed beds slow. Hammering the heck out of them that way right now. Good luck with the new pole and send me pics!!

Will do!!!  Good luck on your hunt.. and thanks for the info..

• Thanks 1