Nugget Shooter Forums

Just got this meteorite from ebay

Hello all 

This meteorite just arrived the other day that I won on ebay. I had to take pictures of this indoors because it was a cloudy day :aw-shucks:  so I am going to retake the pictures tomorrow in morning sunlight from all angles. However one decent picture came out:

Practice pictures 0820 047.JPG

Congrats! I commend and share your enthusiasm for wanting to collect meteorites, they certainly are amazing. Can you share a link to the original EBay sale and/or to the seller?  Just curious to see their other meteorites.

Also check out all the meteorite references  here to learn more about them, lots of good stuff here for beginners like you and me!

:reading:

Edited by GotAU?

Jadee, 

I am skeptical. A lot of scirocco's 382 posts look like meteor-wrongs. There are no meteorites designated with a B9 prefix. His numbers have no recognized meaning. I would take your rock and turn over the back of a porcelain toilet tank top and scratch your rock enough to leave a streak. It won't hurt the value of your rock in the least. If it leaves a dark grey , black or red streak it is NOT a meteorite, but probably contains magnetite.  Check it for being magnetic. If it has a moderately strong pull it probably is NOT a meteorite.

Let us know the results.

billpeters

• Like 1
7 hours ago, billpeters said:

Jadee, 

I am skeptical. A lot of scirocco's 382 posts look like meteor-wrongs. There are no meteorites designated with a B9 prefix. His numbers have no recognized meaning. I would take your rock and turn over the back of a porcelain toilet tank top and scratch your rock enough to leave a streak. It won't hurt the value of your rock in the least. If it leaves a dark grey , black or red streak it is NOT a meteorite, but probably contains magnetite.  Check it for being magnetic. If it has a moderately strong pull it probably is NOT a meteorite.

Let us know the results.

billpeters

I agree. it looks like a lot of his so called meteorites listed on eBay are meteorwrongs.

The B9 designation is nothing but a personal way to identify his listings and has nothing to do with meteorites.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, billpeters said:

Jadee, 

Let us know the results.

billpeters

I was curious about that too, and am still learning about identifying and knowing the differences between meteorites and meteorwrongs.  Hence I wanted to see the seller’s inventory...

Edited by GotAU?
  • Like 1

Thank you, guys for being honest with me and I will look into saying something to ebay about this. I had a kind of sinking feeling when I opened up the box with  the meteorite there and only a card from the business :th_rain-umbrella:

• Sad 1
6 minutes ago, Jadee said:

Thank you, guys for being honest with me and I will look into saying something to ebay about this. I had a kind of sinking feeling when I opened up the box with  the meteorite there and only a card from the business :th_rain-umbrella:

Check this, and if you really want to be sure, there is contact info on it to have you send in photos, but I think the others are right.

https://meteorites.ucla.edu/static/custom/documents/howto.pdf

• Thanks 1

I sent the seller a message just simply saying that there are some doubts as to the "meteorite's" authenticity and that I needed more substantial proof. I got this through a bid auction.

Did a test on the rock on the back of some porcelain and it was a black streak :grr01:   :barnie:    What should I do next? I am going to contact Ebay and tell them about what I have found along with as many pictures and posted facts as to what meteorites look like; I will do whatever it takes to make sure no one else fall prey to scam artist's like these! 

• Like 1
  • well done 1
48 minutes ago, Jadee said:

I sent the seller a message just simply saying that there are some doubts as to the "meteorite's" authenticity and that I needed more substantial proof. I got this through a bid auction.

Did a test on the rock on the back of some porcelain and it was a black streak :grr01:   :barnie:    What should I do next? I am going to contact Ebay and tell them about what I have found along with as many pictures and posted facts as to what meteorites look like; I will do whatever it takes to make sure no one else fall prey to scam artist's like these! 

Yeah. I'm not surprised. I looked up the seller on eBay. Their was one guy who sold plain rocks or iron minerals as meteorites in eBay and was from Colorado. First name was Stephen. I bet it's the same guy.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Jadee said:

Send photos of it to that UCLA link that is on the meteorite id poster I posted above- There are experts here, but you would carry a lot more weight having a mote from UCLA telling you if it’s real or not when you’re making a claim with eBay. Good luck with that and I’m sorry about your disappointing purchase, don’t let it stop you from collecting real ones!

5 hours ago, Jadee said:

This is that seller's letter he sent me after I asked for a refund:

082020 Ebay letter.png

4 hours ago, Mikestang said:

Cut it in half and let's see the inside, that would go a long way.

I also advise if you can't cut it in half to at least cut/file a "window" so the interior can be viewed, seeing the inside will tell for sure if it's a meteorite.

• 1 month later...

Sean is a awesome dude who has a tremendous amount of experience with meteorites. This is no doubt a weathered NWA meteorite IMO. The streak test only applies to freshly fallen meteorites and only on the fusion crust. A streak test does not apply to this stone, it is too old and weathered along with no fusion crust and the results have no meaningful diagnostic use. All said and done it will not hurt the value at all to cut it in half for the experience as well as to expose the shiny flecks of metal that are likely within. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Wow :th:

Thank you very much for letting me know. I must get in touch with him and pay him plus I want to give him a few Minnesota treasures some Lake Superior agates to apologize.

On 8/18/2020 at 8:10 AM, Jadee said:

Jadee,

This is how a fresh fallen meteorite looks like. This one have just picked today.

IMG_20201002_181658_187_1601653220688.jpg