Nugget Shooter Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TomH

Copper and a Crystal

After seeing Bedrock Bobs copper plated bugs I decided to play around a bit.

Had an old quartz crystal that I glued to a base, painted it with conductive paint and plated it for about 3 hrs in the copper bath. 

Im going to let the copper pantina into blue/purple and then seal it with lacquer. 
Came out kind of cool I think. 

Now to find some bugs! Nothing will be safe now.

Tom H.

SAM_3457.JPG

SAM_3458.JPG

• Like 11
  • well done 2
  • wow 1

Hey Tom,...Pretty Cool,....If that is pendant-size you could attach a gold or copper chain to it and list it on EBAY.  I bet you would get a real good response from some of those "old"  quartz-crystal-heads (hippies) from the early 50's and 60's that attached mystical-value to them.   :89:  I have actually sold a number of quartz crystals on EBAY over the years.  Gary  :200:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LowPoint said:

Hey Tom,...Pretty Cool,....If that is pendant-size you could attach a gold or copper chain to it and list it on EBAY.  I bet you would get a real good response from some of those "old"  quartz-crystal-heads (hippies) from the early 50's and 60's that attached mystical-value to them.   :89:  I have actually sold a number of quartz crystals on EBAY over the years.  Gary  :200:

The thought had crossed my mind :)
Tom

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sonoran Dave said:

That came out really cool!!!

Tks Dave....think about things to do this with.....you have a way more creative mind than I do.  If you get some cool bugs we can make them last forever. :) 

Tom H.

7 hours ago, TomH said:

Tks Dave....think about things to do this with.....you have a way more creative mind than I do.  If you get some cool bugs we can make them last forever. :) 

Tom H.

I'll keep my eyes peeled! :)

What kind of power supply do you use Tom? What voltage?

It looks really good! My friend puts them in for days. I didn't know you could do one so fast....

Bob: 

Its just a regular lab power supply. Variable. 8 volt 300 amp. 

I had it in for about 3 hrs at 1 amp. 

My bath make up is probably different from hers. Plating baths have more sulfuric acid in them and I also have levelers/brightners that I have to keep at certain levels for a smooth plate.

The lower the amperage, the smoother the CU plate will be.

On another note. I am thinking about trying to make a conductive silver paint like the one I have now. It is too expensive though at 300.00 for 8 oz. The thinning agent for it is denatured alcohol. 

So, I can get silver powder off of E-bay, but I need some kind of a binder so the silver will stick to  the objects when sprayed.I dont know if lacquer would work for that? It has to allow the silver particles to connect so the plating will flow.  Any ideas on that? The expensive paint is very watery. 

Tom

• Thanks 1

Shellac thins with alcohol. It's the only one I can think of that does. A shellac base would dry fast too.

You might have to do some experimenting Tom. :89:

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sonoran Dave said:

Shellac thins with alcohol. It's the only one I can think of that does. A shellac base would dry fast too.

You might have to do some experimenting Tom. :89:

The paint does dry incredibly fast.....we may be on to something here! :)
Tom

• Like 1