Nugget Shooter Forums

Equinox 800 did not detect this gold find

I was gold prospecting today and after about 4 hours of using my equinox 800 in gold mode two. It did not detect the gold in rocks I was finding. The about an hour later I put it away I would believe the heat started affecting my minelab equinox 800.

I continued on and pick up about 30 rocks with gold in them.

here is a couple pictures of the rock that was not detected by my equinox. 

maybe somebody can explain why or what I may be doing wrong please. 

74C63E60-27A9-4B84-AAAC-4C35BBC08C80.jpeg

989B199D-F985-4C0A-8607-793DED942D08.jpeg

E366D0B4-13EA-4175-B153-317A064DFDD8.jpeg

I'm not seeing 'the gold' you are talking about.

Could it be pyrite/mica you are looking at?

Man, 30 rocks with gold showing,  just laying there to be found by eye. 

Sounds like a really good area.

• Like 2

I do see some spots that look 'golden'.  You'll probably have to crush one up and pan it out to be sure.

Trying to scratch the golden spots with a needle may be helpful.  If the material is brittle or crumbly, it's not gold.

Is there a chance you didn't have the Nox ground balanced properly?  Swinging too fast?

It's just an odd story where your metal detector couldn't find the gold, but then you shut it off and went on to find more gold than many people ever do.

Hopefully, it does turn out to be gold.

• Like 1

I was I believe in a good spot and was not planning on calling it a day yet. There was rocks that I had to carefully look at and some I through back. I do not believe the area has been worked at all possible. My next step it to crush them down and then I will find out. 

• Like 1

I hate to say it, but it looks like mica and iron pyrite to me (maybe some fine flakes of gold in the mix???)  Best way to find out is to crush up a good specimen or two and pan out the concentrate.  Gary

• Like 3
10 hours ago, LowPoint said:

I hate to say it, but it looks like mica and iron pyrite to me (maybe some fine flakes of gold in the mix???)  Best way to find out is to crush up a good specimen or two and pan out the concentrate.  Gary

I agree. Looks like a mica schist. But here's a small, cheap rock crusher if you still want to break your specimens down.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/164306519717

• Like 1

If somebody can answer this question by what I have seen if it is pyrite or mica the prospecting magnitude will pick those up. But gold will not pick up with the magnet. Is this correct. 

22 minutes ago, Allen said:

If somebody can answer this question by what I have seen if it is pyrite or mica the prospecting magnitude will pick those up. But gold will not pick up with the magnet. Is this correct. 

This is not correct. Gold, mica and "pyrite" are all non-magnetic. 

Okay thanks for letting me know. I would assume there is no real way of knowing if you have gold. Does anybody know of a real way to know if you have gold. 
thanks 

8 hours ago, Allen said:

Okay thanks for letting me know. I would assume there is no real way of knowing if you have gold. Does anybody know of a real way to know if you have gold. 
thanks 

If it's mostly what you think is gold have it tested with a gold test kit.

If it's a rock that you think has gold in it, crush it and pan the dust to see if any golf remains. 

8 hours ago, Allen said:

thanks 

Take it to a geologist at a university.

12 hours ago, Allen said:

thanks 

Gold is a soft yellow metal. There is nothing else like it. If you get a good magnifier and look at what you have and play with it a bit you can tell. It looks like little blobs, flakes and shapes of metal. If you crush and pan it out you will see if you have gold right away. It is much heavier and looks completely different than anything else you may have. It will separate itself from other minerals when you use the panning action.  It is soft and malleable. You can dent it and flatten it without it breaking and crushing. If you put a tiny speck in between your teeth you will flatten it out. A tiny speck of anything else will crush and leave you with grit in your teeth.

The best way to tell if you have gold is to do the basic mineral tests. Weight, hardness, and visual inspection. If you are interested in this game it is the first lesson you are going to have to learn. 

Just whack off a piece with a hammer and crush it up man. Put some water in a pan and identify it by determining the basic physical characteristics. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry, like others said, fools gold or iron pyrite, maybe mica too. Like others said, crush it if you have a way to do so, perhaps some very small powder gold, but likely most, if not all of what you see is pyrite.