Nugget Shooter Forums

Cicadas Singing in Phoenix Valley, Rain must be coming

We'll see if when "the cicadas sing the rains are near" in central AZ.  The weatherman says no rain for the next 10 days, but I hear the cicadas for the first time today.

• Like 1

From what I have read and heard, they sing when the days are the hottest and driest. Which is typically right before the start of the "real" monsoon season.

They are all trying to out buzz the other to attract a mate.

Tom H.

• Like 1

Heck !! I hear them 24 hours a day , 7 days a week!:shhhhh:

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Gilaoro said:

Heck !! I hear them 24 hours a day , 7 days a week!:shhhhh:

You have tinitus, too? I mostly "tune it out "unless it is really quiet. Then. I notice it.

19 hours ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

They are early,,, has not been 17 yrs.

Heard them singing around 2006 I think while we were motel camping in Prescott  . annoying buggers

For some reason they like to nest under Oak Trees , Prescott has lots of them. I always notice more of their shed husks on Oak trees. When I was much younger we had a big oar tree in the front yard and there was always lots of them , it may take them 17 years too hatch but there was always a new crop and we too tired thread to them and made them fly. Tye them to a fish hook with no weight and float them in a bass pond and watch out!  Yes I have tinnitus bad: Too many 50 Cals,  3In/50 cannons, unprotected  helicopter hours. But the VA says there is no such thing, I am just hearing things !  Need to tie them under an Oak tree .:head:

• Like 1

Ones we have in AZ are underground for 2 or 3 years depending on the type, so we hear them every year.

Its looking like we’ll get some storms soon so the cicada may have been right about the rains, even if it was telling me its the driest time of the year.

• Like 1

My one dog thinks they are manna from heaven. Loves to hunt them down and then "crunch crunch" Good protein I guess :)
Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Yep, been hearing and seeing them every year since ever since.

Back in the 80's, used to have a cat that would go out under the street light all night and hunt the cicadas.  If I got ahold of one, I could call him over and he'd eat it out of my hand. 

I sure would love to go back to those simpler times.  Thanks for the reminder.  :)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gilaoro said:

. But the VA says there is no such thing, I am just hearing things ! .:head:

:tisk-tisk: Sounds like the VA . 

DAV.ORG should go to bat for you. Their site has email contact info.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease, as they say.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stillweaver hillbelli said:

:tisk-tisk: Sounds like the VA . 

DAV.ORG should go to bat for you. Their site has email contact info.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease, as they say.

I’m not sure which organization like AMVETS but my father got hearing aides from the VA a couple years ago with a disability rating.  He must have been out 40 years.  He helped another Vietnam era vet get the same thing.

I think AMVETS helps on Luke, but in North Carolina was a different organization.  Having an advocate like that helps.

8 hours ago, Gilaoro said:

Yes I have tinnitus bad: Too many 50 Cals,  3In/50 cannons, unprotected  helicopter hours. But the VA says there is no such thing, I am just hearing things !  Need to tie them under an Oak tree .:head:

Yeah those 3" 50 cannon can be a bit noisy in a gun tub on a ship.  We also fired 5" 38 cannon.  The only thing that we had for hearing was cotton.  Also it was dirty and exposed to everything foul around the ship.  Today the government is being sued by vets for not providing the proper ear protection while firing ordnance.  That doesn't go for us guys that didn't have any ear protection at all or very little.  My hearing is very bad and the tinnitus is constant but the VA says that I make too much money to qualify for hearing aids.  Go figure that.  I can still hear those Chichadas though.  

Old Tom 

• Like 1

Yep , The VA told me the same thing.  The twin 40 MM  was not to pleasant either . We also fired 81 MM Mortars with a piggyback 50 Cal  attached . All with a GI helmet and sound powered phones  if you were the gunner or trainer , the loader and hot shell man had nothing and they stood closer to the gun than  anyone! But the evidence that the VA wants is PROOF that you were  on a gun crew and the date and time and how many rounds were fired and what for so on and so on. Information the was never recorded in any log book I ever seen. Proof ? Most servicemen of our days are lucky if they even have any records of service. How can you prove that you were on a gun crew and fired 50 50 rounds of 3" 50 rounds at a target on any certain date There was no records kept but they can tell you exactly what days you were on earned leave. I repeat THE VA IS WORTHLESS.  It took me 15 years to get what little disability they gave me and that was after a federal judge told them they had too but they would not make it retroactive nor give me enough to qualify for GI insurance. I was told directly in person at the Phoenix VA office that if I appealed one more time that they would take it all away.  As far as the Vets org's they  are primarily drinking clubs and of little use.            I have had friends who died in agony from Agent Orange exposure who had a hell of a time PROVING their exposure  to it..

• Sad 2

Haven’t had any real rain since March 13th here in the Phoenix valley,  THere’ been three or four days where there’s some recorded rain, but its the type where you feel it if you’re outside, but it doesn’t last.  One of those days it got to where water dripped off the roof but then stopped.  THe last few days have looked like rain, but haven’t happened.

The cicadas are still singing, but the rain is not falling.  

We are getting nice rain here every evening. March was our last measurable rain and that wasn't much. I have gotten about a half inch in the past few days. And the clouds are building every evening. It looks like that trend will last for a while.

Looks like the cicadas were right!

Got our first rain since march in a brief 10 minute downpour at 2am last night and the rain is hitting my windows now and I can hear the thunder streak across the sky in the distance.

The monsoons are here, and

On 7/11/2020 at 8:22 AM, chrisski said:

We'll see if when "the cicadas sing the rains are near" in central AZ.  The weatherman says no rain for the next 10 days, but I hear the cicadas for the first time today.

I went out the other night and heard the leopard toads croaking, this is what signals the monsoon. A few hours later it was pouring down rain.

• Like 1
  • Hmmmmmm 2
  • wow 1
6 hours ago, Edge said:

I went out the other night and heard the leopard toads croaking, this is what signals the monsoon. A few hours later it was pouring down rain.

Turns out they're Red Spotted Toads...

• Like 1

Saw a toad this morning. Looked like those. Only the second toad was I’ve seen since moving here in 2011