Nugget Shooter Forums
Ungerc52

Magnet fishing find in Detroit river. Need help identifying. Looks like Achondrite meteorite

Went magnet fishing in the Detroit river. Found a heavy, mysterious object 40 feet down in the river.  It looks like a Achondrite meteorite.  Help! 

Welcome Unger,

It could be iron ore from the Mesabi Range in Minnesota that fell off of a barge going to the steel mills of Cleveland. Or it could be one of a thousand other more natural possibilities before it is likely to be a meteorite.  It has to be brought up and then it can be more easily analyzed.

Why are you magnet fishing in the Detroit River? Is there that much iron in the Flint water supply that gets into the fish in the Detroit River? 

I once picked up a small gold nugget with my meteorite magnet cane.  It picked up iron mixed with quartz that contained gold. It was my best find of the year.

Hope you get an actual meteorite.

billpeters

• Like 1

I moved your other topic on this to this topic since it had photos.

It looks like broken cast iron to me, but I don't know much about meteorites. 

4 hours ago, billpeters said:

Why are you magnet fishing in the Detroit River? Is there that much iron in the Flint water supply that gets into the fish in the Detroit River? 

billpeters

Maybe he was hoping to hook an iron fish. 😅

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-32749629

Seriously..I don't think it's iron ore. Probably a piece of scrap iron that came from a wreck or fell off a barge.

• Like 2

Ahh! Magnet fishing used to be one off my favorites ! A very strong magnet can be obtained from an old Radar Waveguide and a strong double  braided nylon line attached to it. In New Orleans you would almost be guaranteed bicycles and shopping carts  at every  road crossing the many canals. At any country road crossing  a creek fishing lures and other stuff  will surprise you what people through off off a bridge. Fish cleaning stations built over the water or on piers will keep you in a supply of pocket and other knives and  floating boat docks have an almost endless supply of  wrenches  and anything made of steel or iron that can be dropped overboard. Special magnets made for water recovery are available at a price. You never know what you will find next ! Try it you might like it.

9 hours ago, billpeters said:

Welcome Unger,

It could be iron ore from the Mesabi Range in Minnesota that fell off of a barge going to the steel mills of Cleveland. Or it could be one of a thousand other more natural possibilities before it is likely to be a meteorite.  It has to be brought up and then it can be more easily analyzed.

I once picked up a small gold nugget with my meteorite magnet cane.  It picked up iron mixed with quartz that contained gold. It was my best find of the year.

Hope you get an actual meteorite.

billpeters

I was visiting my dad for 3 weeks and wanted to do something outside. He has a bad back so he isn't very active and is very limited.  I was magnet fishing in the Detroit river in hope of finding murder weapons; guns, knives, pipe bombs, etc.

I've been doing a lot of research and to me, this object looks like a Achondrite meteorite.  It's stoney, metallic,  and crystalline.  I'm getting it tested by the head professor at the UW geologist program .

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gilaoro said:

Ahh! Magnet fishing used to be one off my favorites ! A very strong magnet can be obtained from an old Radar Waveguide and a strong double  braided nylon line attached to it. In New Orleans you would almost be guaranteed bicycles and shopping carts  at every  road crossing the many canals. At any country road crossing  a creek fishing lures and other stuff  will surprise you what people through off off a bridge. Fish cleaning stations built over the water or on piers will keep you in a supply of pocket and other knives and  floating boat docks have an almost endless supply of  wrenches  and anything made of steel or iron that can be dropped overboard. Special magnets made for water recovery are available at a price. You never know what you will find next ! Try it you might like it.

Yeah, I've just started and it's been a lot of fun so far. Where I found this object was at the end of a massive fishing pier. The river was 40 ft deep. I also found 5 sets of working pliers,  a fishing pole and all the hooks and weights needed. 

If this object was iron ore or cast iron or any chuck of metal, I'm most certain that it would have developed more rust on it. The markings are too unique and complex on each side to be scrap metal or iron ore. But that's my opinion since I've had an up-close look.