Nugget Shooter Forums

Gold Monster 1000 Depth Test - Big Coil VS Small Coil

Hey, everyone!  

I just made a video that I think a lot of you will be interested in seeing.  If anyone is interested in a copy of the results just let me know and I will post an image of them.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • well done 3

Very interesting!  I have not seen anyone else test like that. 
I usually just run the small coil, seems to deal with difficult ground better.

By the looks of your small coil cover, you use it mostly also :)
Good luck to you out there.

Tom H.

• Like 2

This is an extremely well done video that gives some great information.  Obviously you spent a lot of time in production.  Valuable stuff, thank you for sharing.

Doc

• Like 1

So it looks like the only short coming of the large coil is on really dinky gold.  However I like the extra ground coverage of the larger coil.  One thing you have to remember is that the larger coil, is looking at a greater amount of ground mineralization which is probably de-sensitizing it when there are those little .01 gram pieces and making it difficult to detect the dinks.

But none of that detracts from the overall conclusion that it appears AUTO 2 is the better setting at least in this experiment.  Now how that translates to real-life situations with different ground conditions is yet to be seen.

But as I said this is a superb video and very well done.  Knowledge is power and you provided a lot of great educational information.  Great job!  Thank you.

Doc

Thanks for that!  Pretty much confirmed what I "felt" about those coils without an actual test?  I never use the large coil anymore it seems....

Thank you everyone!  Here is a photo of the results in case anyone wants it in the future....?

results.jpg

Im not a Monster guy but great test. Never seen anyone do that. Great thinking!!

• Like 1
10 hours ago, mariposagoldbag said:

Thank you everyone!  Here is a photo of the results in case anyone wants it in the future....?

results.jpg

Since all gold nuggets contain silver (and or) copper, wouldn't you expect a little better results in some cases due to leaching and the halo effect?

Posted (edited)

Morlock, absolutely!  At least I would think so.  

Edited by mariposagoldbag

Very Interesting indeed!  It appears that the 1/2 gram nugget is the break even point between the two coils.  The small coil wins with the lesser weight nuggets and the big coil for the larger nuggets.  Most of the time I use AUTO 1 because the ground in many cases is just too noisy for Auto 2. I do switch back and forth as the ground allows but now I know to try to stay in auto 2 as much as possible.  Still use the big coil for patch hunting though.  Can't cover much ground with the 5" coil

Anyways, great effort and thank you for this important work.

Bob

• Like 2
On 7/6/2020 at 4:37 PM, Boorx4 said:

Very Interesting indeed!  It appears that the 1/2 gram nugget is the break even point between the two coils.  The small coil wins with the lesser weight nuggets and the big coil for the larger nuggets.  Most of the time I use AUTO 1 because the ground in many cases is just too noisy for Auto 2. I do switch back and forth as the ground allows but now I know to try to stay in auto 2 as much as possible.  Still use the big coil for patch hunting though.  Can't cover much ground with the 5" coil

Anyways, great effort and thank you for this important work.

Bob

I appreciate it Bob!

Well done Mike! The tiny stuff definitely needs the 5 inch hockey puck. But as you found the larger elliptical coil does well and slightly better on the 0.5 gr and larger pieces at depth.  Definitely cover more ground with the larger coil and that is the trade-off as I see it. I still believe that to 'catch' it 'all' the 5" is the ticket. Or perhaps better said find the areas with gold with the larger coil and clean-up with the smaller coil. Again great job and information we can all use! 

• Like 1

I wonder how full manual would compare to those auto settings.

Excellent video.

• Like 1
On 7/23/2020 at 5:14 PM, Andyy said:

I wonder how full manual would compare to those auto settings.

Excellent video.

Yeah I probably should of also tested the pieces in manual.  The reason I didn't is because I used to use manual but found that the setting I would be using would be just as sensitive as auto 2 but didn't handle the ground as well.  So I really don't use manual a whole lot, I know some of you do. I still wish I would of added that to the test though.

• Like 2
On 7/31/2020 at 7:46 PM, mariposagoldbag said:

Yeah I probably should of also tested the pieces in manual.  The reason I didn't is because I used to use manual but found that the setting I would be using would be just as sensitive as auto 2 but didn't handle the ground as well.  So I really don't use manual a whole lot, I know some of you do. I still wish I would of added that to the test though.

I read someplace that, in mild ground, the Auto capability has a wider range of sensitivity than even Manual.  But the ground has to be mild enough use it.   I still experiment with both.  And when pinpointing, I am definitely always in Manual as Auto will tend to balance out the tiny stuff, in my experience.  If I had to guess, for my ground, Manual is at least better than Auto1.  Auto2 is typically too noisy, but your video proves that I have to do some more experimenting while the target is in the ground, for Auto2.