Nugget Shooter Forums

I decided to build a new critter with some materials I gathered last fall. 

20200630_155141.jpg

A highly poisonous spider. His abdomen is a datura ferox pod. His body a datura inoxia pod. His head is two mescal beans. His legs are eight devil claws. His fangs are barrel cactus thorns. His eyes are clusters of goatheads.

The mescal beans (New Mexico Mountain Laurel) contain cystine, a lethal alkaloid similar to nicotine. The datura ferox (Armored Datura) is loaded with scopolamine and the datura inoxia (Jimson Weed) has atropine. Just a little of any of these alkaloids will give a guy a dirt nap. So this rascal is truly venomous.

There is only one of these spiders in existence. But there are spider eggs all over the work bench and I think a new swarm is going to hatch.

• Like 6
  • well done 1
  • wow 1

Bob, You have outdone yourself this time ! That thing would scare the devil out of the devil ! Besides that It would hurt you bad it you stepped on it.!

• Like 2

That's.pretty neat. Reminds me of a creature I saw on the Twilight Zone years ago. They should sell like hot cakes.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

If you v

8 hours ago, Morlock said:

That's.pretty neat. Reminds me of a creature I saw on the Twilight Zone years ago. They should sell like hot cakes.

If you could only put a face on those.

https://images.app.goo.gl/MNLqaALjMsu9k8668

Edited by Morlock
  • Like 1

That’s some creative use of the seedlings and pods.  Kind of reminds me of some of the clawless lobsters I used to see diving.

Needing how your devils claw plants are doing?  I planted four Of the cultured white seeds and one is growing.  Its probably up to about 18” now.  Someone suggested drying an okra pod and attaching legs.

• Like 1

I bet that would make a good bass lure Bob. Throw that out there and twitch it a few times, then shoot the bass that come to check it out with your bow and arrow.
Maybe put a hook in it in case a world record decides to eat it.

• Like 1

Just all the spikes alone will hook that sucker. All you need to do is tie your line to it.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, nugget108 said:

Just all the spikes alone will hook that sucker. All you need to do is tie your line to it.

If I were a fishie, I'd swim away as fast as I could after seeing that.😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The only thing scarier than it's looks, is how high you would get if you were to get bit by that critter. Another creative creation Bob, thanks for sharing. :4chsmu1:

• Like 1
16 hours ago, chrisski said:

That’s some creative use of the seedlings and pods.  Kind of reminds me of some of the clawless lobsters I used to see diving.

Needing how your devils claw plants are doing?  I planted four Of the cultured white seeds and one is growing.  Its probably up to about 18” now.  Someone suggested drying an okra pod and attaching legs.

Chris

Here is a photo of one of my patches I have growing. They are flowering good and have lots of little pods on them. 

Some plants are big and some are little. The big ones are about 18 high. 

20200703_114158.jpg

I planted hundreds of seeds way back in mid March. A few came up but they are the small ones. Then the rest came up in mid May when things warmed up. They seemed to be stronger and grow faster than the early sprouters.

They are seeds from a hundred mile radius. So there could be a couple species and three subspecies. You can tell the difference by the flower. 

All of mine so far are the white and purple flowers. That is the annual species. Im hoping to get a few yellow flowered ones started. Those are the perennial kind and grow back each year from roots.

20200703_115229.jpg

What do your flowers look like from the white seeded ones?

There are several different kinds of purple flowered ones. The flowers have different markings. Some have yellow. Some are nearly white with just a little lavender. 

Some plants are really red looking. Some are light green. Some have a slightly different shaped pod.

The yellow flowered ones are smaller plants and the pods are different. They vine out more and the flowers are much bigger. The pod is super strange and harder shelled. 

I have never seen the white seeded kind. I have made 600 scorpions so far. Six pods to a scorpion. That is 3600 devil claw pods I have collected in the past couple years and not one white seed. 

When your plants get seeded pods on them I would like to get one. I'll trade you a scorpion for one if that interests you. I want to grow some next year!

• Like 3
15 hours ago, Dakota Slim said:

I bet that would make a good bass lure Bob. Throw that out there and twitch it a few times, then shoot the bass that come to check it out with your bow and arrow.
Maybe put a hook in it in case a world record decides to eat it.

Hey Slim!

I'm doing almost exactly the same thing with another creation. The New Mexico Red Chile Lure.

I have been selling these for years using a similar scenario for a gag gift.

20200703_120512.jpg

Here is a shot of my display.

20200703_115706.jpg

And a shot of the instructions.

20200703_115716.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

SAM_3425.JPGIm glad that thing is not alive! ACK! Here is my little creation I made last year from a seed pod out of the Az. desert. 

• Like 7
21 minutes ago, TomH said:

SAM_3425.JPGIm glad that thing is not alive! ACK! Here is my little creation I made last year from a seed pod out of the Az. desert. 

I make birds out of them too! A lot like that. But I leave the stem on. It looks like a bird head.

20200703_154205.jpg

These aren't finished. But you get the general idea...

What did you use for feet?

• Like 2
  • well done 1
Posted (edited)

One of the pics shows the Pod next to a wallet for scale.  I’ve split all the pods open to take the seeds out, but I found out later there may be as many as 10 more seeds hidden in one of the compartments.  I split it open and two compartments were pretty easy to get to, but I didn’t know about the other two, if those even exist on this kind.  To grow the seeds, I soaked them on a paper towel for a few days, just like I had to do the squash seeds.  Someone else recommended soaking the deeds overnight and carefully cutting the shell off and then planting what’s on the inside.  Out of the four seeds I planted, 1 grew in a few days, and a second sprouted a month later, but this second smaller plant died when I transplanted it.  The lady I got these from off E-Bay said she got it from the To’hokam tribe by Tucson.

Another pic shows it about 18” tall in my front yard.  It is fed by a little drip irrigation sprinkler every day.  The lady I got the seeds from said this plant grows to about five feet tall and will make about 40 pods per plant.  She said sun or partial sun, and a little bit of water.  We haven’t had rain here in probably 120 days, so. I don’t see this doing well on its own.

The other picture shows what I think are the flower pods coming out.  Has not budded, so I’m not sure the color.  Whatever those white flies are in the pic, are eating the leaves, but the plants still growing.  I’m treating with Neem oil, and trying to avoid pesticides, but thaw neem oil does not seem to be working to well.  

I would send some of the pods and seeds out to you if you want to PM me where you want these to go.  These pods I have now are basically on the bottom of a hanging plant outside, and I’ve got a couple dozen seeds in the fridge.  

E2ADE42D-DEF6-4D18-B065-E6AD3B03295C.jpeg

96BDA870-39E4-464B-99B6-3B4C472FBCB5.jpeg

01473776-48F6-4E3B-8C1B-358E790360C7.jpeg

Edited by chrisski
  • Like 1
  • well done 1

Chris

Use a neem/pyrethrin spray. It will cure your bugs. It only lasts a few hours.

I get aphids on mine. I think those are leaf hoppers on yours. I get those on my squash plants. The neem/pyrethrin is the stuff. I spray when I see an infestation. Only about once a month. It is safe and seems to work well.

Grow that plant this summer and you will have lots of pods. Then we can trade.

It is not too late to start more plants. They haven't sprouted at all yet in our desert. They only need a couple months to grow and make pods. So you have plenty of time to start from seed.

That is one of those red plants. And the pods look like the yellow flowered pods around here. So I definitely want a pod full of seeds if you harvest some.

They will flower soon. A few more days. You won't be able to miss the flowers. Or the scent.

They have four rows of seeds. Two in each half of the pod. The first row pops out easily when the pod splits. The second row is behind a tough membrane and won't release the seeds for a few seasons. Kind of a time release capsule.

Grow me a good healthy pod filled with seeds and I'll send you a scorpion and a hand full of New Mexico seeds from one of my plants.

Give it another month and I bet you have clusters of them!

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Bedrock Bob said:

I make birds out of them too! A lot like that. But I leave the stem on. It looks like a bird head.

20200703_154205.jpg

These aren't finished. But you get the general idea...

What did you use for feet?

Bob: It is 14 ga copper wire. Soldered together then I nickel plated it and burnished the toe nails so you could see the copper again 

• Like 2
  • well done 1
2 hours ago, TomH said:

Bob: It is 14 ga copper wire. Soldered together then I nickel plated it and burnished the toe nails so you could see the copper again 

I kinda thought you were plating again.

It looks neat. Great job!

• Thanks 1