Nugget Shooter Forums

Hey everyone,

Me and Chris got out last weekend to do some prospecting on the outskirts of Goldfield, Nevada. We have been doing pretty well in this area, but there is also a lot of trash. We had to stick mostly to the sidebanks of the washes to get away from the trash. After digging a few huge holes for square nails, we got pretty tired fast...🥵  but pulled some nice gold out of the ground.

Well until the next time,

Dave

21abb1a3-4b8b-4cc5-b746-51538dc39f66.png

Edited by DolanDave
  • Like 11
  • well done 3
  • wow 1

Another nice find. You two have had a lot success in that area. Congrats. 

Watch out for those relatives.

Tyrannosaurus-rex.jpg

• Like 1

Great gold and miniature dinos! :thumbsupanim

The creature you found at the beginning of your video is a cicada nymph, an adult female cicada lays eggs in the crevices of the bark of trees/bushes, the eggs hatch and the larva crawls down and burrows in the soil where they grow into nymphs, after the nymph being in the soil eating roots for 1 to 17 years depending on which species of cicada it is, it crawls out of the soil, up a tree or bush and attaches itself to the bark or leaves and then molts, it breaks out of it's exoskeleton to become an adult with wings, spends a short time mating, then the females lays eggs and both sexes die.

Some people refer to these adult cicadas as locusts, but they aren't and don't eat after exiting the soil to molt nor as adults.

Here's an adult photo of the biggest ones in North America, this is also one of the species from my neck of the wood/country, the photo shows the adult after molting and it's wings and new exoskeleton hardening and ready to fly away to find a mate, it also show the exoskeleton which you will notice looks likes the creature you dug up, the exoskeleton would of been attached to the bark before being removed for the photo.

Dorsal view. Neotibicen auletes female Manchester NJ

Another photo of a nymph attached to bark shortly before molting.

Neotibicen-auletes-Manchester-NJ-Aug-11-

Another photo of a guy hold a couple of the big guys....the nymphs nor adults bite even though they look like they could!!

There legs however can grab a hold of your skin but they still don't hurt you.

Two-Megatibicen-auletes-768x1024.jpg

• Like 3

Those little boogers sure do make enough noise when it gets hot.  The kids around here tie cotton thread on them under their wings and fly them around on a long line.  After they are done playing and they are exhausted they let them go.  The trees are full of their exoskeletons hanging onto the bark. 

That piece of gold looks a lot like one that my son found a few years ago. We call it the pizza nugget because it is flat and round and on top it looks like a pizza.  A really good find for you in this day and age, congrats.  

Old Tom     

• Like 3
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Au Seeker said:

Great gold and miniature dinos! :thumbsupanim

The creature you found at the beginning of your video is a cicada nymph, an adult female cicada lays eggs in the crevices of the bark of trees/bushes, the eggs hatch and the larva.

Hi Au,

Just correlated you to your youtube name MeGoldSeeker... Thanks for the input... I have seen these cicada nymphs before digging, but never knew what they were... Thank you for the info...

Dave.

Edited by DolanDave
  • Like 2

Dang Dave! You knocked it out of the ball park on that one. REALLY NICE score!!! I was thinking more like 1.25 oz like my flat one bignug.jpg..Heck either way SWEET find. :ya:Still at 29, you hit an OZ? yes? 

Pretty nice dig hole also....not too much digging to get to the target. :)

Miy dig hole  would have been twice as big. 

Tom H.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Old Tom said:

Those little boogers sure do make enough noise when it gets hot.  The kids around here tie cotton thread on them under their wings and fly them around on a long line.  After they are done playing and they are exhausted they let them go.  The trees are full of their exoskeletons hanging onto the bark.

Thank you Ol Tom.... I agree, those cicadas make some noise !!!

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, TomH said:

Dang Dave! You knocked it out of the ball park on that one. REALLY NICE score!!! I was thinking more like 1.25 oz like my flat one
Tom H.

Thanks Tom, were still kinda new to the area, only been at this place a half dozen times over the last 5 years, but think were gonna start getting out a lot more to the area...

Man love your 1.25 oz piece, really nice !!!

Dave

Edited by DolanDave
  • Like 1
Posted (edited)

Hey Dave, NICE GOLD. I see lots of quakes are still going on between Tonopah and Mina. Were you feeling them? 
I saw they had detours on Hwy 95 closed around Tonopah for a while. How are the roads?

Edited by Dakota Slim
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, Dakota Slim said:

Hey Dave, NICE GOLD. I see lots of quakes are still going on between Tonopah and Mina. Were you feeling them? 
I saw they had detours on Hwy 95 closed around Tonopah for a while. How are the roads?

Hi Dakota,

Thank you... No I didnt feel any. I did not get as far up near tonopah where some of the damage occured. The roads were good as of last weekend, at least to almost goldfield. They must have repaired the roads, as there were a lot of cars, trucks, rv's ect going north.

Dave.

Hi Dave, I have been up in that area before. I recognized one of the mountains in the video. Have not found any placer gold up there yet. Lots of silver mines.  We have a friend that has a ranch there that we visit sometimes my wife goes horseback riding with them. You did well Congratulations.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Beeper Bob said:

Hi Dave, I have been up in that area before. I recognized one of the mountains in the video. Have not found any placer gold up there yet. Lots of silver mines.  We have a friend that has a ranch there that we visit sometimes my wife goes horseback riding with them. You did well Congratulations.

Thank you Bob,

Its a nice area, very remote, all the times we have been there, have not run into or saw one person...

Dave

Edited by DolanDave
  • 3 weeks later...

Just a thought that if you really hate digging trash like most of us , would you be up to the challenge of putting in a junk bag and show us at the end all of those junk lead and nail finds ? I really do enjoy seeing all of those piles of scrap metal etc. we are always picking up . It would be something if the hunters had to pick up after themselves like the miners LOL .Best wishes and Good luck on some more big nuggets . Peace .

• Like 1