Nugget Shooter Forums

Posted (edited)

I know it isn't touted as being a Gold detector but would they work ok for nugget hunting in the river? Being water proof is the reason i ask. And does anyone know if other coils are available for them? Thanks for any answers.

Edited by Rebel73153

I would say if a nugget is big enough it should pick it up as long as it's not to deep and or masked by mineralization.

That being said, I would say it's not the best for detecting gold nuggets especially smaller nuggets and pickers because it operates at 12kHz, most VLF gold detectors operate at much higher frequencies, some of the best operate at 48Khz and higher, there are some that operate at around 19 to 20 kHz, but at around 12kHz it is usually best for coins, jewelry and relics, which is what the Simplex+ is designed for.

The Simplex+ comes with a 11" DD search coil, but there are 2 other coil made for it, a 8.5" DD, and a 9.5" X 5" DD.

• Like 1

Thanks Au for the answer. I looked for other coils but couldn't find any. The main reason for interest was the water proof feature.

6 hours ago, Rebel73153 said:

Thanks Au for the answer. I looked for other coils but couldn't find any. The main reason for interest was the water proof feature.

There are many better for gold detectors that are "waterproof" on the market, but not too many at that price point.

Any metal detector can find gold, for example I have found  gold nuggets with my old Tesoro UMax...vlf....I set the disc to eliminate iron and started swinging. My first  target was a 8 gram gold nugget. The Simplex is a better machine as it has multi features iMHO would do just fine on pieces of over 1 gram. At  250 bucks with all the Simplex has to offer its a good choice. Plus as you say its waterproof...

Yep, i went ahead and order a new one. I figured for $254 it would make a good park hunter if nothing else.

Hey Rebel

Dilek from Nokta/Makro just said they have two new coils for the Simplex. One is a 8.5 inch round DD coil and a 9 X 5 DD coming out I believe this month. Dilek has a video showing the new coils. You can find it over on Steve H. forum talking about them.

Chuck 

Thank you for that info Chuck.